General Spider Turbo Restoration Problem

Currently reading:
General Spider Turbo Restoration Problem

Performing a mechanical restoration on an 81 Spider Turbo (Turbo delete). Was in storage for 15 years. Did the basic replacements , brake system, plugs , wires , exhaust with straight pipe (removed cat converter)with resonator and baffled muffler , new fuel and air filter, new radiator and hoses etc. Got it on the road and it drove but ran rough. Changed out fuel pressure regulator , cold start valve, new idle screw and o ring. Ran better but weak at low speeds (starting out in each gear) and then smoothed out as the revs increased. Was thinking of changing out the thermo switch sensor , fuel injectors and vacuum advance next. Took it for a drive and it ran as it had been. I accelerated in second gear stronger than usual and had a sudden huge plume of white smoke exit the exhaust and the engine cut out. No overheating, no oil or coolant leaks and both motor oil and coolant look normal. Towed it home and started right up this morning but it is running very rough with an exhaust pop when revving. Didn't attempt to drive. No knocks or smoke . The car did have a small exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold and always seemed to have gas fumes from the exhaust.
Looking for any thoughts as to what happened and what steps I should take next. Appreciate any help

Also should have mentioned that the spark plugs are somewhat oily but not the worst Ive seen . I did a compression check when I first started working on it and all four cylinders were at 80 but I did the check when the engine was cold. Thought the fact that they were consistent was good enough

Attachments

• 81fiat.jpg
    81fiat.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 35
the huge plume of white smoke makes me guess head gasket, but I would expect it to continue to emit white smoke. Check for oil in the radiator which would indicate a head gasket leak. EDIT: (I see you already did this.)

The exhaust leak, if upstream of the O2 sensor can cause it to run rich, which would contribute to the "pops", and lead to poor power.

I would install new injectors since it sat for 15 years. I would expect the old injectors to be pretty gummed up.

Last edited:
Since my last post I drained the oil which came out thin and sought of brownish. I assume I am getting coolant into the oil. Also the level of oil was about 1/2 quart over the max level. But I checked the coolant thinking it would have dropped and it hadn't. It also still looked clear of oil?? Thinking I did blow a head gasket as you suggest I tried some Bars Leak Head Gasket sealer ( I know, but figured it was worth a shot). I have driven the car about 20 miles and still don't see any smoke but it is running the same. Weak as you start off in each gear and the smooths out as the rpms increase. I think I will try changing out the injectors. The hesitation definitely feels like some sought of fuel deficiency. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how I make out.

Back