Technical Poor running for 10 sec. Altitude?

Currently reading:
Technical Poor running for 10 sec. Altitude?

emrahiz

Hey, I am new into the forum. I have a problem of poor running. I have 1.3 multijet(jtd) and when I start the car, it starts well but it has approx. 10 seconds of rough idling. It sometimes stalls. It lights the check engine light for this ten seconds period but no codes are triggered. And the most problematic part f this is it only happens when I come to high altitude place(nearly 2000m or 7000ft). It happens intermittently but nearly all mornings. Sometimes with hot engine. Some say it's because of the software of ecu, some say its because of injectors. I don't think it's because of injectors because there is no black or white smoke and no poor engine power. Can be bad electricity or some?
Thanks in advance.

Procedures done:
Map and maf sensors are cleaned.
Glow plugs and flow plug relay had been changed

Hi
I have no knowledge for diesel engine, so someone else maybe.
It is also nice if you can also introduce yourself on the forum under the new user section.

You could try changing the fuel filter then. Also has the car seen service recently? Engine air filter, oil and oil filter need changing too. (y) Check earth, clean battery terminals.

Could it be a vacuum leak from any of the hoses? Also Egr system needs cleaning sometimes.

And edit: ECU did get a software update on the diesel engines but It's presumably done at the dealer check service records.

Also you could check map/ maf sensor readings from obd live data along with some other sensors such as ect (coolant temp). Map or maf may indeed still be faulty. At least the separate one which measures atmospheric pressure outside intake manifold. Have its readings checked at high and low altitude.

Last edited:
Hi All

If i remember the early 4x4 panda 965cc had a throttle offset adjuster usable from inside the car to assist with the idle when at high altitude, its probably just reduced oxygen just putting things outside normal parameters.

might be worth trying some of the high grade diesel you can get at the pumps, ensure all filters are in good order to maximize airflow.

Tim

The running of the engine managed by a number of sensors the main one where altitude is concerned is the mass air sensor which measures the amount of air entering the engine, it should help the engine ECU adjust the appropriate settings to to cope with altitude, it’s also a common failure point in the 1.3 multijet

Back