Technical Perceived Rattling Noise from Engine - Solution

Currently reading:
Technical Perceived Rattling Noise from Engine - Solution

lamboboss67

Hi everyone,

Reading some forum posts in the GP sub-forum, I have noticed some people complaining of a deep, audible exhaust-like rattle coming from the engine at 2,000-2,500 rpm. I also have experienced this problem on my own Grande, but in my case this was nothing to worry about and is not a problem with the car itself. If you are experiencing this problem, simply check the air intake pipe. On the end of the pipe, you will see that it is attached to a steel bracket which holds it in place. However, the small rubber grommet which stops the pipe from rattling against the steel bracket can become torn if you or your mechanic is not careful when removing the intake pipe along with the air box when servicing the car. So, the rattling noise is really just the intake pipe rattling around a little bit due to this grommet being damaged during servicing. In my case, I just used some wire to hold it in place (highly unprofessional) but the ideal would be to either replace the grommet or use one or two rubber washers to keep it in place.

Hope this helps to quell the fears of anyone who thinks they have a problem with their engine or exhaust.

Zip ties work well too on the air intake pipe.

Also on some models there's a thin metal cross-piece just behind the engine/gearbox under the car which gets bent and can touch the exhaust causing an annoying rattle on acceleration/deceleration

Back