500 Newbie alert

Currently reading:
500 Newbie alert

Zony

Hello all. New to the forum having just purchased a 500s in Electroclash Grey and black wheels. It’s my wife’s car and she loves it.

There are a few niggles I want to sort out.

Blue and me socket broken, eBay second hand item on its way. Old one soaked in coffee. Not a great location for a drink holder right next to an electrical item.

Fuel cap strap crumbled away. New one In the post.

Rear seat backs badly scratched, might remove and respray.

What is the best ODB scanner. I have a Carly but not used it yet.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
My daughters fuel cap strap has broken (the loop at the end). Can you tell me where you got a replacement.

I couldn't work out where it was attached either.

Thanks

Hi

I bought the replacement by just typing it in to google, was about £20 if I remember.

The barrel needs removing as per another members post, very useful. The other end of the strap is located inside the filler flap on the hinge.

The second hand Bluetooth & me socket charges for a second and stops. Must be a loose connection or a dried out joint inside the unit. Fuse is ok as the thing lights up at night.

Note this picture on how to hang fuel cap when filling(usually not done hence why its snapped left dangling scratching the paintwork?), blue and me can give issues mostly flattern the battery, suggest disconnecting the unit behind the rear passenger quarter panel, replacing the radio with aftermarket, re reader, you need a laptop and MES fiat software about £80 including the leads and download

Attachments

• 20191019_091245.jpg
    20191019_091245.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Note this picture on how to hang fuel cap when filling(usually not done hence why its snapped left dangling scratching the paintwork?), blue and me can give issues mostly flattern the battery, suggest disconnecting the unit behind the rear passenger quarter panel, replacing the radio with aftermarket, re reader, you need a laptop and MES fiat software about £80 including the leads and download
No, as far as I'm aware it was never hung correctly, was left to dangle, and undoubtedly that's why it broke. I'll have you know I've got perfect 20/20 hindsight.

What is the best ODB scanner.

As John says above your best bet is the Multiecuscan (MES) software. I think most of us run it on windows laptops but I believe there are other options. You can download the software and run it in simulate mode to get a good idea of what it can do - and it can do a lot! Much, much more than you're average cheap OBD scanner.

There are several options for connecting to the vehicle. If you look on the forum main menu there is a section dedicated to it where you can access the MES website - or click this link: https://www.multiecuscan.net/

If you want to ask questions there are a lot of us on here who use it so just ask away. Also very useful are the people at Gendan: https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESPKG.html Which is where I bought mine from. They are very helpful and used to answering "daft" questions. I know, I asked just about every daft question in the book before I bought. After sales support is excellent too. I would also advise you against buying cheap interfaces on line. I've read many posts on here from people detailing how much trouble they've had with them.

Many thanks for the replies. I will read up on the multiscan items. Does it only run on a windows 7 laptop as I will have to get one.

Going back to blue and me, does the usb socket only work ie (charge) once selected on steering wheel src button

Many thanks

I will read up on the multiscan items. Does it only run on a windows 7 laptop as I will have to get one.

Look here: https://www.multiecuscan.net/ Just a wee bit down the page it says it works on XP right through to windows 10. It worked equally well on my old Vista laptop and now goes just fine on my windows 10 laptop.

I can't tell you about the USB socket because I've never tried using it!

Going back to blue and me, does the usb socket only work ie (charge) once selected on steering wheel src button. Many thanks

The USB socket should charge whenever the ignition is on. I don't use it for such, having a flash drive with all my music more or less permanently fitted, but I understand it's pretty low-powered and unsuitable for many modern phones and tablets and the like.

There are any number of adapters out there that plug into the CL socket and supply more power. I use one with two CL and three USB sockets to power my dashcams and so on. It slots neatly into the compartment ahead of the cup holders.

Thanks for the replies. Changed the adapter next to the cl socket, the aux works and lights up but MP3 still not working.

Back