Technical Not starting when warm

Currently reading:
Technical Not starting when warm

arthurc435

hi everyone.
First Post, having problems with my fiat ducato 2011 multijet 100 van.

Starts fine in the moring first time. once warm if i stop and turn it off wont start again. Have to have 4 or more attempts of cranking 5 or 6 revolution before it will fire, It some time more. Had a timeing chain recently as got so loose wore thought cover, tryed a new crank sencer too.
Plugged into a snap on machine when not starting
Plenty of fuel pressure, but no target set by ecu and no target idle when doesnt start.

Its almost like the ecu is telling the engine not to start, but dont know why...

Hope i havent made this confusing tryed to give as much info as i can.

Also egr fault was found have order one but dont feel that ks the starting issue

Last edited:
hi everyone.
First Post, having problems with my fiat ducato 2001 multijet 100 van.

Starts fine in the moring first time. once warm if i stop and turn it off wont start again. Have to have 4 or more attempts of cranking 5 or 6 revolution before it will fire, It some time more. Had a timeing chain recently as got so loose wore thought cover, tryed a new crank sencer too.
Plugged into a snap on machine when not starting
Plenty of fuel pressure, but no target set by ecu and no target idle when doesnt start.

Its almost like the ecu is telling the engine not to start, but dont know why...

Hope i havent made this confusing tryed to give as much info as i can.

Also egr fault was found have order one but dont feel that ks the starting issue
When cranking but not starting what is rpm reading on snap on tool?
If it's zero then replace the crank shaft position sensor (also called rpm sensor)

When cranking but not starting what is rpm reading on snap on tool?
If it's zero then replace the crank shaft position sensor (also called rpm sensor)

Have aready replace crank sensor from a gut feeling, was reading about 200-300 from memory
So is deffantly picking up

Mine has a temperature sensor on the thermostat.
Not sure where yours is located for the 2011?

There's a fuel pressure sensor also.

Maybe yours is faulty and is sending bad data to the ECU?

Last edited:
Have you had codes read?
I had a similar occurrence which turned out to be a faulty glowplug relay. Suggest a code read before you just throw money at it - which you already have to a degree.

Ian.

Mine has a temperature sensor on the thermostat.
Not sure where yours is located for the 2011?

There's a fuel pressure sensor also.

Maybe yours is faulty and is sending bad data to the ECU?

Seems to be reading the fuel pressure, just to requesting presure, or letting the injectors open

Have you had codes read?
I had a similar occurrence which turned out to be a faulty glowplug relay. Suggest a code read before you just throw money at it - which you already have to a degree.

Ian.

Yes one of the code was preheat relay. Will investigate more thanks

Yes one of the code was preheat relay. Will investigate more thanks
I had a heater relay code also?
Was it P1612 - Fuel filter heater relay?
...but I was yanking relays to test some. I have cleared those codes now and it hasn't come back.

The things is I do not have any issue cranking or starting ....at present ....but i live in a warm climate. Fuel heating not required here.

Preheat relay is for temperatures below 0 deg C I believe.
Heating the diesel in colder climates.

But this is why I asked you earlier about your Coolant Temperature Sensor.
If it is faulty...It can affect starting, fuel economy...etc. All kinds of gremlins.

Have you checked it?
How did you check it? ie. Did you use diags software?

Also, there exist multiple earths.
There is a separate earth to the body which...if faulty ...can affect various components such as dash lights etc.
A previous poster was suggesting the jumper lead to engine or chassis ...as a direct earth test.
It was not to jumper start your vehicle....for the starter motor say.
It was to test your earth to body ...do it ...when you have the problem next.
It was a very sound suggestion.

I should also say , with MES you can turn on/off actuators such as the fuel pump relay manually.
This enables a manual test with the relay in the car.
Lot's of sensors in these Ducatos!

Anyway, Hope that gives you some further test ideas?

Last edited:
Back