Technical fuel pump relay

Currently reading:
Technical fuel pump relay

tipo93

Hi all, parts are getting harder to find, can any of you help me find a fuel pump relay for late 1993 fiat tipo 1.4ie. 12v-20amp b385 2030 5 point
thank you

Possibly not much help but there may be similar relays on other older single point injection models like a punto mk1. Out of interest I tried a standard 5 pin 12 volt relay in my tipo and it did energise the fuel pump but the car would not start so there must be something specific in the fiat relay that completes the circuit to start the vehicle.

Attachments

• 20200821_201334.jpg
    20200821_201334.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 57
This is the relay I tried instead of the fiat relay. Same voltage and amperage but unfortunately the car wouldn't start.

Attachments

• 20200821_201342.jpg
    20200821_201342.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 71
Might be worth trying a well established fiat dealer for new old stock or a fiat friendly breaker. Unfortunately I have no similar tipo with fuel injection broken for parts.

Thanks for replies, I'm waiting on a new fuel pump which could actually be the problem but was just trying to get ahead in case it doesn't solve it. I've emailed a company 12voltplanet.co.uk & sent them pics so fingers crossed when they get back to me next week

Thanks for replies, I'm waiting on a new fuel pump which could actually be the problem but was just trying to get ahead in case it doesn't solve it. I've emailed a company 12voltplanet.co.uk & sent them pics so fingers crossed when they get back to me next week

Have you tried energizing your existing fuel pump? I presume you have no audible noise from the pump when you turn on the ignition?

Or checking for 12volts ;)

I did have a fuse-board for a mk2 1400

If you get stuck let me know and I will see if I can locate it

Last week when diagnosing and changing my own fuel pump I noticed that there was no 12 volt supply back at the fuel pump. I could have been fooled into thinking it was a current supply issue but having been here before I knew the only way to rule out the pump was to energize it directly. Sure enough with the pump changed out everything back working fine. Maybe you need to have an assistant at the key as the pump is only energized for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition in normal operation. Having directly energized the pump off a battery and a couple of wires I knew straight away it was dead. At least a replacement fuel pump is fairly cheap. Keep us updated on how you get on.

New fuel pump fitted & it still won’t start so I’m stumped again. Thanks for all your suggestions

I bought a replacement fuel pump relay for my punto Gt from Alfashop ltd , it may be the same sort [emoji1303]

Thanks, i've called them & send a picture in an email, just waiting for reply

I had a similar-ish problem with mine a few months back, I had accidentally knocked the cutoff switch because the seat is removed. It took me and the AA guy a while to sort it, we found that the ignition sends a live feed to the pump but the ground line is switched through other things like the cutout. If you pump is spinning then maybe it's the relay but there are a couple of other sensors connected to the EFI (such as temp) that can cause the injector not to spray.

Issues like this usually need full recovery service diagnostics, experience and car-specific fault-finding hints and tips.

Back