General thinking of buying my first twinair 4x4 (2015)

Currently reading:
General thinking of buying my first twinair 4x4 (2015)

1teabag

Hi all, thanks for having me!
I'm looking at buying a 2015 twinair 4x4 which has 32,000 on the clock. just checked the advisories and it shows the following:
Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened. Front.
Front (undertray corroded)
Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perished NSF
Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement NSF (wishbone rear bush)

MOT was done in Jan and it's done 800 miles since.

Anything here likely to cost me an arm and a leg, or point to other problems that might be off putting? (I'm driving 100 miles to see this in a couple of days.)
Thanks for any advice.

My 13-plate 4x4 TA has done over 80,000 miles with very few issues, will need to replace discs and pads at next service - done 14 trips to our Italian home - should have been 15 by now (hoping for best in 3 weeks time). Sounds as though "yours" may have been kerbed at the front - wheel rim or tread wear may give a clue.

Hi babbo_umbro,

Thanks for the positive response!

I've had a look at some pics and there does seem to be a scrape on the NSF rim so you could be right, I'll have a good look when I get there.

Just another question before i go to look, do all 2015 twinair's (petrol) have a turbo? and if not ,should I be worried?

Welcome. Brake discs on front painless, front tyre if original Continental can be sourced still, copy one Uniroyal MS 77. Suspension arms around £60 each exc fitting. I've had both. Undertray, unbolt and rub down and hammerite. Alleged water cooled turbo, wait 30 secs before switching off. Proof of regular oil changes a must with 0w 30 C2/C3.

Thanks for all your replies, steep learning curve....

So...we bit the bullet and are now the proud owners of the twinair. I love it! Drove it back from Bristol in Eco mode (not motorway 'cause of the tire situation) and used a couple of pints of fuel....

Obviously I have questions!

1st: both NS tires look like they've been kerb scrubbed, the front has a gouge in it which was noted on the Fiat Service 'traffic light check' in Feb 2016 and on the MOT advisory from the following year. I'm told that I have to replace 2 (or even 4) tires to protect the diff from damage, any thoughts?

2nd: I can't find any mention of Timing Belt replacement, car has done 30/-, should this be a priority? (I'm about to get a full service and oil change done by my local garage which looks after 3 other Pandas including a twinair 4x4 the same as mine.)

3rd: in Feb 2019 they replaced the rear diff because there was an oil leak. £1600 inc labour. Does this happen often?

4th: The undertray is quite badly corroded at the back end, the mech says the metal used was poor quality on these as he's seen it before, should I replace it? (not planning much off-road, just winters where we live...)

Last recorded Fiat service was at 22.5/- in Feb 2019.

thanks for reading.

Hi :wave: welcome to TA ownership (y)

Its a camchain :) so no Issues there

Undertray : sumpguard.. there are some great products out there.. pull it off and get it treated

Tyres.. what kind of mileage are you planning to do..?

You could potentially get a pair for the front..and just 'wear as a set'

Ive had a great experience from new with my punto.. so bought a low mile panda last summer to join it.. :)

No 4x4 experience though :eek:

Charlie

Well done. Despite car being mostly front wheel drive, tyres wear not far off same rate. I wouldn't be given the original Continental again, but they last well. Goodyear and Dunlop far grippier. I'd have new coolant and water pump as 5 years old. Diff failure rare at 4 years old. You'd be unlucky if happened again. Trip this morning in my Dad's Honda Jazz illustrates how much fun the Twin Air is, especially round corners and up hills.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

I have a 2013 4x4 TA with over 100k miles. Engine runs like a dream but as previously mentioned, regular servicing correct oil etc is a must.

Just replaced all 4 discs and pads and fitted all weather Yokohama tires.

The rear diff, like most hast started to weep a tiny bit, so replaced oil and added additive to stop the leak, and it has. no big deal if it weeps a little, just keep an eye on it.

I wouldn't replace the under tray, just remove, clean and Hammerite it.

Great little car and the build quality is excellent. No rattles or creaks.

A very unique car the 4x4, haven't seen many of them here in South Wales.

Congratulations!

I have a 2013 4x4 TA with over 100k miles. Engine runs like a dream.

A very unique car the 4x4, haven't seen many of them here in South Wales.

Not yours next to my diesel ..??

Charlie - BG

Attachments

• 20200330_105218.jpg
    20200330_105218.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 67
Hi :wave: welcome to TA ownership (y)

Its a camchain :) so no Issues there

Undertray : sumpguard.. there are some great products out there.. pull it off and get it treated

Tyres.. what kind of mileage are you planning to do..?

You could potentially get a pair for the front..and just 'wear as a set'

Ive had a great experience from new with my punto.. so bought a low mile panda last summer to join it.. :)

No 4x4 experience though :eek:

Charlie
shouldn't be doing too much mileage, maybe 4/-, little motorway stuff but winters can be a dodgy here hence the need for a 4x4.

there seem to be loads of water pumps on the market, any preferences?

Hi all, we're now 9 months in to our love affair with our Panda, replaced a couple of tyres and new pads for the MOT (we live in the hills!). My Subaru Forester has been on a SORN since we got the Panda as 25mpg is a bit expensive at the moment but.....I had to drive to Hampshire yesterday and encountered a Kamikaze pheasant on the A34. He didn't survive but he managed to take out the N.S. sidelight glass (plastic). Has anyone replaced one of these? I assume it's all one unit and has to be replaced as a whole. Any advice would be appreciated

Back