General Exhaust Manifold Studs and Nuts

Currently reading:
General Exhaust Manifold Studs and Nuts

Jambo1981

Afternoon all,

Firstly, will introduce myself. I'm new to Fiat and have recently Acquired a Fiat Grande Punto, 2007, 1.2 as a fixer upper as it has a fair few issues and it's MOT was due in a few weeks.

I have browsed the forum for some useful info but thought I would join and hopefully contribute back where possible and I have one last job to complete and am looking for recommednations or advice.

The exhaust system had 2 blows, 1 at the join for manifold to centre pipe and also the manifold gasket. Sorted the the join and moved on to the manifold gasket. After removing the heat shield, O2 sensor etc, noticed that 1 nut and stud was missing and 2 had been replaced with bolts that required an E10 to undo. I installed a stud into these 3 holes just to make sure there were no issues, all holes recieved studs appropriately.

Most of the nuts had to be removed with an extractor socket and all the studs came with them. I thought as I am doing the gasket I will replace all the studs and nuts so the future owner shouldn't have to worry about any issues with these should the manifold need removed for whatever reason.

So, I want to get the job done as quickly as possible and in for MOT so I phone the local Fiat dealer as I though these little items would be carried in stock. Anyway, nope, they have to order them in. OK, whats the price? I almost fell off my chair when the young chap came back with "for 8 studs and nuts, that will be £58,95 including the VAT".

So, my question is, has anyone used the cheaper studs off of Ebay? The studs I have measured out and they are M8, 40mm long. I have measured the ones from the car and they come in at 13mm for the first threaded part that screws in to the head, 14mm for the unthreaded part and 13mm for the last threaded part for the nut to sit.

I haven't seen anything on Ebay that match these specs and wondered if anyone had any links to ones they have used in the past successfully. The nuts aren't a problem and can be sourced easily.

Anyway, thanks for reading the long winded post and hopefully someone can help out.

Cheers, Jamie.

Last edited:
I bought studs in one small local store focused on Fiat parts. Old guy is working there and has almost everything, used or new. I think those studs can be found on many e-shops or physical stores...just to ask them. I had the same leaks as you...I posted some pictures in some thread...but i dont remember its name...

Plenty of m8 x40 stainless with flange nuts on eBay for less than 10 per set, that’s my go to for motorcycle studs, they also have an Allen key slot in for stud removal if required, appreciate all the introducing metal type stuff but I’ve always used stainless and god forbid copper slip and never had issues. IMG_8333.JPG

Fiat part number is 55192175 for the nuts and 13588521 for the studs which are both compatible with Linea and Grande Punto. I ordered the ones from Autodoc which where manufactured by FA1. FA1 part number is 985-823.10 for the studs and 988-0804.10 for the nuts. They were very cheap like 40 cents each and came in packets of 10 pcs.

Autodoc isn't very fast to ship the items anymore, so it'll take like two the three weeks.

Those OEM parts really must be very expensive pieces of soft metal. :eek: However those cheaper parts come with two years warranty if fitted at the garage.

£60 for 8 studs and 8 nuts isn't really expensive especially for OEM parts it's less then £4 each

I know main dealers can be expensive, my main driver is an F30 BMW 3 series and some parts I go OE as it really is the best route and pay for it. However, I have purchased manifold studs for Vauxhall's when I have done headgaskets and also Ford. Even from the dealers from memory they were less than £20 for the full set.

You may not find £60 excessive but respectfully, for what they are, I do. If Shop4parts are retailing the same OE (they state the studs and bolts are genuine FCA) items at £28 after discount, taking in to account their margins, the Fiat dealership must be making at least 200% mark up.

But then again, if you need them quick and are in a bind, you have no option but to pay the piper so to speak.

Plenty of m8 x40 stainless with flange nuts on eBay for less than 10 per set, that’s my go to for motorcycle studs, they also have an Allen key slot in for stud removal if required, appreciate all the introducing metal type stuff but I’ve always used stainless and god forbid copper slip and never had issues.View attachment 211261

Super, thank you for this, ordered them tonight so will see how we go. Thank you.

Fiat part number is 55192175 for the nuts and 13588521 for the studs which are both compatible with Linea and Grande Punto. I ordered the ones from Autodoc which where manufactured by FA1. FA1 part number is 985-823.10 for the studs and 988-0804.10 for the nuts. They were very cheap like 40 cents each and came in packets of 10 pcs.

Autodoc isn't very fast to ship the items anymore, so it'll take like two the three weeks.

Those OEM parts really must be very expensive pieces of soft metal. :eek: However those cheaper parts come with two years warranty if fitted at the garage.

Auto Doc came in at less than £10 for all the items and checked that earlier. I didn't pull the trigger with them as it stated 4-5 days to dispatch after payment is received the however long postage is.

I don't really want to be waiting 2-3 weeks in total for the parts to turn up so have gone an alternative route, thenk you for the suggestion.

Back