General Fuel tank sender unit

Currently reading:
General Fuel tank sender unit

Shepster998

Hi all,
This is a bit convaluted, so please bear with me!!

I'm currently renovating a '72 500 L. I've fitted a new wiring loom (all good), however one issue I have is that the fuel sender is the type with one electrical connection. The wiring loom has two wires for the sender (red and pink). Originally, I was going to replace the sender but most of the nuts are seized and I've managed to sheer one off.

Am I right in thinking that the screws protruding from the tank that locate the sender unit are welded in place? Has anyone got a workaround for this? I don't want to have to buy a new tank and sender, but can't see any other way.

Or is there anything I can do with the new wiring loom for instance to join the red and pink wires together into one (will that work?)

Thanks all.

Last edited:
If you have the fuel-tank out, the easy way around your problem is to carefully drill the remainder of the sheared stud out and tap the hole to accept a small bolt. With the tank out it will be (relatively) easy to remove the swarf from the operation. It would seem that you have a wiring loom for a 'L' model which DOES require 2 wires to go to the tank-unit----1 wire for the 'low-fuel' light and the 2nd wire for the actual gauge. Whilst happy to be corrected by the electrical brains on the Forum, I think that if you can ascertain which wire does the 'low-fuel' light,you can leave the other wire disconnected (but insulated for safety).

If you have the fuel-tank out, the easy way around your problem is to carefully drill the remainder of the sheared stud out and tap the hole to accept a small bolt. With the tank out it will be (relatively) easy to remove the swarf from the operation. It would seem that you have a wiring loom for a 'L' model which DOES require 2 wires to go to the tank-unit----1 wire for the 'low-fuel' light and the 2nd wire for the actual gauge. Whilst happy to be corrected by the electrical brains on the Forum, I think that if you can ascertain which wire does the 'low-fuel' light,you can leave the other wire disconnected (but insulated for safety).

You are correct Tom, the red wire is the low fuel light, the pink wire is the fuel gauge.

Back