Starter Motor

Currently reading:
Starter Motor

Hello all,

I have a fiat grande punto 1.4 16v sporting and my starter motor is dead. Im at university and don't have a jack how hard is it to replace from on top of the engine bay?

Last edited:
I'm not overly familiar with the Punto but I don't think the starter motor can be changed from on top of the engine bay. (I have a 1.4, 16v Bravo, same engine?)

If you don't have a jack, maybe get help to push the car and put 2 wheels up on the highest kerb you can find, this should allow you just about enough room to slide underneath.

Are you sure the starter motor has failed and it's not a problem with the battery, battery connections, battery cables or a poor earth connection?

Iirc, some Punto's have aluminium battery cables/leads and hidden corrosion can occur between the cable and terminal. This is what I'd check out after checking the battery.

You might try reposting this query in the 'Punto Grande' section of this forum- doing so will possibly reach more of those who know your model.

Al.

Last edited:
Do the 'jump lead test' before worrying about the starter..;)

Failure of the internal structure of the battery to motor : gearbox earth cable is telatively common.

Which variant do you have..?

if its a manual..

Try tow.starting.. the starter may well function.. once the motor has run

Please feel free to update us when you have more info

Charlie

Hello all,

I have had a new earth cable as my old one snapped so that’s been replaced last year with a heavy duty cable, the alternator is less than a year old and so is the battery. The car bump starts and drives fine. I bought the car on 120k miles and it’s now on 206k and the starter hasn’t been changed since I’ve owned it and not sure when if it was replaced before I bought it. I’ll double check all the connections. A close friend of mine who’s t-jet swapping a panda said it’s most likely the starter motor as it happened to one of his old cars. Thank you all for the help so far :)

Hello all,

I have had a new earth cable as my old one snapped so that’s been replaced last year with a heavy duty cable, the alternator is less than a year old and so is the battery. The car bump starts and drives fine. I bought the car on 120k miles and it’s now on 206k and the starter hasn’t been changed since I’ve owned it and not sure when if it was replaced before I bought it. I’ll double check all the connections. A close friend of mine who’s t-jet swapping a panda said it’s most likely the starter motor as it happened to one of his old cars. Thank you all for the help so far :)
Is the battery ok? Even though only year old ,
Fully charged?
Has car been unused for weeks due to lock down?

Batteries go flat in only a few weeks due to very small loads on battery even when ignition key not in car.

Last edited:
Back