Technical Fiat Punto Grande Stalling after slight voltage drop

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Punto Grande Stalling after slight voltage drop

Jordancbb

Hi guys,

my grande punto 1.4 stalls when there is a slight drop on the voltage (i.e using power steering at idle / headlights )
- replaced the alternator
- disconnected the power steering to see if the power steering was drawing too much power and it still stalled when turning headlights on...
- only stalls at idle...
- removed the head unit as it is aftermarket although no difference
- OBD2 shows not a single error.

The car runs fine as long as the throttle is even slightly being used

any ideas on what could be causing the stall? cleaned throttle body and replaced the idle control valve

any ideas?

thanks,

Jordan

Hi guys,

my grande punto 1.4 stalls when there is a slight drop on the voltage (i.e using power steering at idle / headlights )

The car runs fine as long as the throttle is even slightly being used

any ideas on what could be causing the stall? cleaned throttle body and replaced the idle control valve

any ideas?

Hi :)

Low voltage can effect the electronics enough to stop efficient running :eek:

You appear to have changed parts..

But have you actually measured output..??

Done all the earth point cleaning..and checked the main earth cable is sound ?
( see GP FAQ's )

What motor and spec are we talking ..?

Charlie

Hi :)

Low voltage can effect the electronics enough to stop efficient running :eek:

You appear to have changed parts..

But have you actually measured output..??

Done all the earth point cleaning..and checked the main earth cable is sound ?
( see GP FAQ's )

What motor and spec are we talking ..?

Charlie

1.4 8v - the motor itself runs fine except at idle still have perfect fuel efficiency etc.

14.1V on the second battery (have used two batteries - when plugged into a battery charger the extra voltage across the car prevents the stall). Originally we thought it was a power steering failure possibly drawing too much power causing the stall at idle but I've run the car without the power steering power plugged in and it will still stall if i put full beams on. Before stall it appears to drop to around 13V

the car will start perfectly first try until it first stalls when it then stutters a little and starts again. The car will also stall in idle if left for 10+ mins and no electronics are touched.

Only non standard part was an aftermarket head unit which has been fully removed.

Have checked both the earth point and cleaned with a wire brush and tightened / cleaned battery connections.

Another weird thing is that the car wont stall if i take the alternator off...

Thanks,

Jordan

Last edited:
Your voltages seem a bit too high for me. That could be the alternator's voltage regulator trying to get higher voltage than needed (13,7 Vish) and doing so, "pulling" too hard and finally stalling the engine ... It stop after 10' without touching any electronics, maybe because the cooling fan quicks in ?
Hook a DVM on your battery and tell us what are the voltages your read in various conditions, specially @ idle.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

1.4 8v - the motor itself runs fine except at idle still have perfect fuel efficiency etc.

14.1V on the second battery (have used two batteries - when plugged into a battery charger the extra voltage across the car prevents the stall).

Another weird thing is that the car wont stall if i take the alternator off...

Thanks,

Jordan

Well done Bernie.. :)

I hadnt picked up on the alternator removed quote.. :eek:

Just read the confirmation of 14.1 volts
And earth cable checked ;)

Does indeed sound suspect ;) : what is it with Grande alternators..? No other FIAT cars have these weird issues with them..

(BTW.. in uk english.. when we describe something starting abruptly we say
'Kicks off' - like a football game ;)

So the cooling fan 'kicks in'

People say English is a tricky language to learn - no wonder the Americans struggle ;) )

Last edited:
okay so some updates

I'm not able to check the voltages until later

I've taken off the air box and cleaned the throttle body but noticed the small breather hose is missing between air box and throttle body... Could this cause the rpm to drop too low? The engine sounds like it's hanging on for dear life and then once I use anything electrical the car stalls ... This is only at idle so
seems like the engine can't keep up

Here is me turning full beams on:
https://youtu.be/yPhgX6404Og

I believe that this small hose is flap bypass. Yes, this can affect idle. When I disconnected it from airbox on idle, it sucked my finger a little bit

Last edited:
Of course it does ! ANY leak in the vacuum system leads to problems !

@ Charlie: thanks for "kicking in" with your valuable english lesson ;-)

BRs, Bernie

I have replaced the hose but no luck

I have removed the crank sensor which obviously throws up the engine fault but makes it impossible to stall... Have ordered a third one (this is my second sensor) although not sure how this could cause a stall without showing an engine warning?

I've also had a check power steering warning light that flashes on when I start the car up but shows no fault code and disappears when actually driving

Is there any chance there's some short somewhere ? The stalling issue I've had has gotten gradually worse but never results in rough idle or loss of power. Almost like someone's disconnected the battery. What wiring would need checking for this?

Back