Technical Abarth to Abarth engine swap?

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth to Abarth engine swap?

ajs78

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Abarth 135 on 150k miles! I also have a 2013 160 engine on 30k miles! You can guess my next question...

Has anyone replaced their Abarth engine?

I know it will fit, and all the plugs and connections will likely be the same... what I need to know is will it run on the 135 ECU? I can then get it mapped to 160+ later on.

I also have some xenon lights, with the engine bay loom, wishbone and rear beam (with sensors) and I guess that is just a case of swapping everything over?

Thanks for any help in advance!

You need the ECU from the other car

But then your car wouldn't start as the imobliser codes wouldn't match the body computer
So you need to fit that as well unless you got the engine ECU "virginised"

Also the xenon lights would need setting upon the body computer probably just a case of needing a proxi alligment

The big question is are they the same engine? Some abarths are multiair and some are T-Jet.

Assuming they are the same engine both t-jets for example then if you swapped the engine and nothing else there is no reason to believe that it wouldn’t work. The only difference between the two is likely just the ecu map and maybe some minor things. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work.

The big question is are they the same engine? Some abarths are multiair and some are T-Jet.

Assuming they are the same engine both t-jets for example then if you swapped the engine and nothing else there is no reason to believe that it wouldn’t work. The only difference between the two is likely just the ecu map and maybe some minor things. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work.

If he's in the UK it won't be the there engine

Multiair unit's are not fitted to any 500 or arbarth in the EU as fars as I'm aware

Except the Punto Evo abarth and every 124 spider abarth, I’m sure they did creep into some 500s
Well I was assuming he wanted to move the engine from one arbarth 500 to another both a total of different car
Then again I could be wrong?

And the multiair engine is fitted to all 500s made for the rest of the world e.g the , Mexico (I think) product line

Last edited:
The Polish built 500/595s don't have Multi-Air, no idea why they didn't use it...

Swapping engines used to be easy, it is mechanically, its the electronics that make it complex

If you swap engines it will be a nightmare, I swap engines at work and I work at jaguar cars and swop brand new engines just for the sake of it.

You will have several issues.
1 you will not start the engine.
2 you will have to re- programme the ECU
3 re- programme the keys as it will be immobilized.
4 you will probably have to have new software as one vehicles software will be different to the other vehicle.

No expert on fiat 500, this is what I have to do on all jaguars and land rovers vehicles.

Or you could give these guy’s a call (pic attached) they supply & swap engines all day long! Did mine for a very reasonable price! IMG_4205.JPG

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Abarth 135 on 150k miles! I also have a 2013 160 engine on 30k miles! You can guess my next question...

Has anyone replaced their Abarth engine?

I know it will fit, and all the plugs and connections will likely be the same... what I need to know is will it run on the 135 ECU? I can then get it mapped to 160+ later on.

I also have some xenon lights, with the engine bay loom, wishbone and rear beam (with sensors) and I guess that is just a case of swapping everything over?

Thanks for any help in advance!

For the price of an engine swap, you can get an ecu tune for cheaper and get more POWAAAA!

Back