Technical Another Slave Cylinder Prob, But how long b4 the clutch dies?

Currently reading:
Technical Another Slave Cylinder Prob, But how long b4 the clutch dies?

bravo98

As in topic.
I was driving along a road not so far from home on thursday, adn the clutch suddenly dropped and stayed down, wouldnt come back up. i pulled up and pushed it up with my hand. after that it seemed fine again but just today and late friday it felt like the clutch pedal wasnt coming up all the way. i took it to garage and turns out slave cylinder leaking.
its booked in for monday afternoon to be replaced.
but i was just wondering is it safe to drive it monday morning to work and back to garage. it wont die on me on the way will it.

also is tehre anything else i should check as the salve is leaking , are there any other knock on effects.

Well it'll be awkward to drive but won't do any harm short term if you can handle a disappearing clutch biting point.:)

Are you sure the clutch return spring hasn't just snapped or become detached?

Of course, make sure the clutch/brake master cylinder is topped up but the clutch take off point is higher so the clutch would stop working before the brakes would be affected. You can drive the car with no clutch at all but it's not much fun:eek:

Slave cylinder is a quick and easy job once you take the battery out

cant be spring snapping as clutch pedal still works, took 2 garage they said slave cylinders leaking.

No not the clutch pressure plate springs:)

Theres a return spring on the clutch pedal which takes the weight of the pedal when not depressed. This regularly snaps........

If you have fluid loss on top of the gearbox then your slave cylinder is certainly gone but the pedal should still return so check if you have a clutch return spring on the pedal itself

Have a look here https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=2615

Last edited:
I had this problem too with my bravo-had to keep pulling clutch up with my foot. I actually did this for a couple of days until someone had the chance to look at it, so you will def. be okay for work on monday :)
I had the injector replaced as i was told it was leaking too, and it's been fine since-that was a few months ago :)

was yours a spring problem too. where do i look to see whether teh spring has snapped or not? what am i looking for

i mean my pedal is coming back up. its just that one time on thursday when it stayed down while driving. after that it just felt slightly depressed. dont really know. hope its not a spring problem too.

"i mean my pedal is coming back up. its just that one time on thursday when it stayed down while driving. after that it just felt slightly depressed".

It's probably just feeling a little down at this time of year :)

"where do i look to see whether the spring has snapped or not? what am i looking for"

Got a Haynes manual? Look under Brake pedal removal Section Section 9.13 illustration 11.3 Nice piccy there. Bog standard coiled spring attached to the clutch pedal. It may have broken or just become detached. Only £2 to buy and you've got to have that working to help you bleed the clutch after replacing the slave cylinder if you're going to

one last question. i havent a haynes manual, so when i go to garage ill get it checked. is the spring something that is rare to get hold of. as they had to order my slave cylinder for monday. i wont have to wait any longer for the spring will i.

It's not rare in that most Fiat dealers should have one but if it's broken your garage will have to go and get one. Have a look and see if you can see it. Grub down and look up from where the pedals are; find the clutch pedal and where it pivots. Look for a spring about the size and shape of your forefinger.
Is it there? is it broken? is it just detached?
5 mins now could save 2 hour wait for parts

Put a Bravo Haynes manual on your Xmas wish list!:)

Last edited:
Deckchair5 said:
It's not rare in that most Fiat dealers should have one but if it's broken your garage will have to go and get one. Have a look and see if you can see it. Grub down and look up from where the pedals are; find the clutch pedal and where it pivots. Look for a spring about the size and shape of your forefinger.
Is it there? is it broken? is it just detached?
5 mins now could save 2 hour wait for parts

Put a Bravo Haynes manual on your Xmas wish list!:)

will do. looked at the clutch just now. the spring is shiny silver colour must have been replaced recently, i bought the car only 4 months ago. ive lifted bonnet and pressed the clutch pedal, and squeeky noises are coming from the slave cylinder. guess it just must be slave cylinder.

had it replaced at a garage today (slave cylinder). clutch feels much better now. just one thing now tho. every time i change gear i have to use a bit of force. not that much just a slightly more than usuall. also how eay is it to replace the rubber seal on the sunroof.

Good. Might get easier with time, it'll certainly be doing more work now it's working properly

how easy is it to replace the rubber seal on the sunroof?

Not difficult. It can be done without removing the sunroof, just by moving the roof to different positions to obtain access. Often though the seal just compresses with time and gets cruddy on the outside lip allowing air/ water in. A good clean off of the seal outside edge and you can carefully prise the seal back into shape with a large bladed screwdriver from the driver's seat

My Bravo's on 107k and the sunroof seal's never needed total replacing, just some cleaning and adjusting

Back