Technical Stop/Start/ESC/Hill start error

Currently reading:
Technical Stop/Start/ESC/Hill start error

arthur daley

Getting intermittent error of "Stop/Start/ESC/Hill start inoperative" fault usually as soon as I touch the brake pedal. It will clear if I switch engine off and start again . Sometimes it will reappear when I touch the brakes sometimes not. Hopefully someone here can help with how to cure this please.

Brake lights work OK. The problem is only intermittent so assume it is just a poor connection somewhere that is telling the ECU and setting the error. I will jiggle the brake light connector tomorrow

I was very interested to come across this thread because I've been having issues with the Stop/Start/ESC/Hill start lights coming up on the dashboard randomly. Sometimes it goes for hours without any issue then suddenly they'll come on for no reason at all. Normally stopping the engine for a momemnt and restarting will clear the lights on the dashboard.
I've put my car on MES a number of times and the only error that comes up was 'Brake pedal switch'. I've checked the brake lights and they were working fine so I have cleared the fault in MES and carried on scratching my head.
Today,following your advice we changed the brake pedal switch so fingers crossed , the £10 switch will cure this. :worship:

I was very interested to come across this thread because I've been having issues with the Stop/Start/ESC/Hill start lights coming up on the dashboard randomly. Sometimes it goes for hours without any issue then suddenly they'll come on for no reason at all. Normally stopping the engine for a momemnt and restarting will clear the lights on the dashboard.

I've put my car on MES a number of times and the only error that comes up was 'Brake pedal switch'. I've checked the brake lights and they were working fine so I have cleared the fault in MES and carried on scratching my head.

Today,following your advice we changed the brake pedal switch so fingers crossed , the £10 switch will cure this. :worship:

It will be the switch. It’s not the fact that it breaks and doesn’t activate the brake lights it’s something else in it. Quite common.

Well after a brief test drive yesterday and a 60 mile run today I can't tell you how happy I am to not have the warning lights appearing on the dashboard any more. I'm back in love with the little car!!

Back