Technical Oil pump pressure relief spring

Currently reading:
Technical Oil pump pressure relief spring

I've never gone into as much detail in measuring things on an engine rebuild as I am doing at the moment....I don't know where I've got the time from?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I measured the clearance of the gears in the oil-pump(y) and then noticed a specification for the free length of the pressure-relief spring and measured that(n). Apparently it should be between approx. 35 and 37mm on the 126 engines; this one is slightly under 34mm. Maybe I'm being over-cautious but I will be ordering one of them and replacing it (maybe several).

I haven't heard this as a regular issue on engine rebuilds but we do hear stories of oil pressure woes.....maybe something for people to check in more detail?

Every time I have checked one of those springs they have always measured under the spec length.

Just give it a stretch...….what could possibly go wrong...…..
tongue.gif

I've known mechanics who'd just fit a washer under the existing spring rather than source a new spring.
(what are you going to do if the new spring is also only 34mm?...)

Did you verify the veracity of your measuring device?

Did you check the spring rate of the spring, not just it's free length?

Al. :D

I've known mechanics who'd just fit a washer under the existing spring rather than source a new spring.
(what are you going to do if the new spring is also only 34mm?...)

Did you verify the veracity of your measuring device?

Did you check the spring rate of the spring, not just it's free length?

Al. :D

..:D all things I considered Al F123C.

The main thing I thought was that a new spring would probably be some random piece of coiled metal if it didn't come in an authentic FIAT package.

Just for once, I think the tool who measured it was accurate.;):D

The old item has gone back in; I can recommend using two, rubber-jawed, quick-clamps to compress it whilst refitting.

Back