Technical 2017 1.2 Easy Punto problems

Currently reading:
Technical 2017 1.2 Easy Punto problems

megadethmaniac

Ok Guys, Just joined.

Old hand with Fiats Uno 60S Eleganza, Marea 105sx weekend and tbh I`ve found them better than most would suggest in terms of reliability. Failed idler pulley sorted under Warranty with the 60 and failed clutch on the Marea when I got it - it finally died when I smoked the diff. Anyone else out there had a 105 that pulled away from a junction like a beagle after a bacon sarnie?????

Anyway purchased the Punto on the 14th Feb 2020, yes less than 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!! its tidy, I think its had a new front bumper slight colour mismatch, just a bit dark to me but hey its second hand. Stupidly low mileage 6600!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway on the 17/2 driving to work dropping down off the 127to a roundabout I get eml, hill hold, stability control and tyre pressure illuminate. The car opts to go into limp mode and I get max 1k rpm. Fiat Assist send a tech out no worries nothing on the computer and all ok. Drive it and see.

Thursday 20th driving the same bit of road off a127 again lights red coming to a halt I get exactly the same. Limp mode eml tyre pressure hill hold and stability. Limp the thing into the office ( traffic not forgiving) and call fiat assist, local firm attends mass air flow? but that doesn`t explain 1k rpm!!!!!

Car shipped back to Fiat dealer then to supplying dealer who finds a throttle peddle fault stored and fit replacement. They drive the car C 80 miles without fault and return it to me at C1:30pm this afternoon. I drive down the A12 to the A130 where there is a roundabout again dropping down and the thing faults- eml 1k rpm tyre and stability all coming up. Maybe hill holder too by now I`m rather annoyed!!!!!! Clears after 30 minutes and the dealers who have answered the initial call ( along the line of I think we still have a problem!!!!)- yea we`ll get a tech to call - but not come back with any assistance finally call me some 35-40 mins later. At this point I`m again underway with the car running ok. They have recovered the car since and put me in an Alfa!

Question forms 2 parts

1 anyone else out there had a similar issue come to a halt at lights on a hill for the lights (EML Tyre pressure, Stability and hill holder) to illuminate? If so what was the fault and fix?

2 is there any OBD system that will talk to a fiat engine management system that will allow me to capture the fault? I suspect I might find an older I3 laptop that might be suit- son had one with a dodgy power supply but if its supplied by the car then might be ok? The dealer I will suspect will continue to run the no fault line and pick the most likely fix but I either want the fault identified and fixed or I will reject the car

Any help appreciated

Mega

There is a downloadable program called Multi ECU Scan which you can fully unlock for about £50 and with about £20 of cables access everything on your car. Google multi Ecu scan

Chances are the fault they thought they were repairing by swapping parts was actually the wiring to that part being at fault.

This is the problem with just going by the fault code.

Also the dashboard full of lights you got can be caused by a multitude of things. Any of the sensors or switches that the stability control uses will bring on a stability warning light but hillhold is on the same system as are things like the tyre pressure warning lights which don’t measure the pressures in the tyres but compares the rolling circumference of the wheels and see if there is any difference in wheel speed.

Last edited:
Ok update.

Dealers report back with error code Mass Air flow sensor. This was what it was initially recovered with on the 21st and which morphed into a throttle position sensor error.

Apparently this is not uncommon on low mileage cars, I always figured it was an issue with higher milers that were prone to burning a bit of oil!

Anyone out there has a MAF fault resulting in a 1k max RPM?

Back