Technical X250 2007 3.0L Front Brake caliper overhaul

Currently reading:
Technical X250 2007 3.0L Front Brake caliper overhaul

DamperVan

Hi all,
My front left hand side brake (non-maxi) is starting to drag and I suspect a brake over haul is required. I haven't taken the wheel off yet and examined the caliper. I know that the caliper can stick on the sliders and this will need checking. However, I was also wondering whether the piston could be sticking and hence dragging. Does anybody know whether there is a brake overhaul kit for these front calipers or is it better just to replace the caliper from a motor factor. I'm planning on replacing the brake pads at the same time.

thanks

It start by cleaning and removing the slide pins and cleaning any corrosion around the pad contact area's then check how freely the piston itself moves it's most likely to be the slide pins or pads rather then the piston themselves especially on front brakes

You can a bit of silicon grease inside the piston seal lubricate and protect It while you are there

Last edited:
It start by cleaning and removing the slide pins and cleaning any corrosion around the pad contact area's then check how freely the piston itself moves it's most likely to be the slide pins or pads rather then the piston themselves especially on front brakes

You can a bit of silicon grease inside the piston seal lubricate and protect It while you are there

I positively assert that I do NOT dislike this post. Rather the opposite as it expresses similar feelings to my own. Must have scrolled over the dislike symbol inadvertantly.

Why change the caliper? As Chris has suggested, probably all that is required is a good cleaning.

I'll take the pads out and clean it all up. In my previous experience I've ended up having to remove the piston/s, clean up, fit new seals and regrease as well as cleaning/regreasing the pins & clean the pad sliders.(on different makes of vehicle). I've not done the Ducato before so just wondering what I was letting myself in for. If there's no overhaul kit available, then a new caliper it will be if required.
I'll let you know how I get on when I tackle the job.

Chris

i dont think that brand new calipers are massively expensive if this one is unserviceable,,,may be worth a check first though,,heavy vans give brakes a hard time -- i service mine at both ends of the year,,clean up and a bit of grease with some fresh fluid,, they wear very heavily on my motorhome

Back