Technical Newbie and Pioneer Head unit issue

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie and Pioneer Head unit issue

CampervanCat

Hi

Introduction first, I’m an English expat living in the Netherlands and last October bought a Campervan based on a Ducato 130. (2014)
The van has the Pioneer head unit and a reversing camera. I had a garage fit a Bear Lock (locks the transmission by locking the gear stick). The garage seem to have done something as the reversing camera no longer works when you put the van in reverse. The screen looks like it’s about to show the rear view but then doesn’t.
It’s still at the garage, they can’t figure it out. Help, please any ideas.
The camera was working fine before I took it in.
Thanks in advance.

We're going ot need a few more details.

What is a 'Bear Lock'? Some explanation of how this works will help. Is it electronic, or mechanical. Does it involve electrical connections? If they disconnect whatever they've done, does the camera now work again? Details of how it connects to the transmission or gear linkage would be helpful.

Is the van manual or automatic transmission? If auto, is this a full auto, or an automated manual?

I'm thinking a wiring diagram may be useful too.

Thanks for responding. The van is a manual 6 speed. The Bear Lock (as far as I’m aware) is a purely mechanical device which when locked doesn’t allow the gear stick to be moved.
This is why I’m surprised the Pioneer doesn’t want to work, when it was working fine before hand. The Bear Lock is a device which is popular over here in Europe but, not it seems, in the UK.
Unfortunately I’d already paid the garage for the lock before I noticed the camera wasn’t working so now they have no incentive to fix it.
As I said the lock is purely mechanical so no wiring diagram. If he’s disconnected the battery for some reason would that cause the Pioneer to throw a wobbly.
I’ll be heading down to the garage later to get more info.

Hi Campervancat

I have a manual 6 speed 2009 Ducato with a reversing camera/monitor powered from the reversing light feed. It's noticable that the gear lever has to be fully into the reverse position before the reversing lights and monitor power up. If you are not decisive enough, its possible to engage reverse gear enough for the gearbox to work but not quite enough to actuate the switch.
Try engaging reverse gear and checking the reversing lights using a mirror or assistant. I wonder if the locking device is restricting mechanical travel in some way ? Another possibility is that some underdash wiring was inadvertently disturbed during fitting.

Thank you. I’ve got the van home now. The garage has given up with it and said they don’t know what the problem is so can’t fix it :bang:

The rest of the system works, just not the camera, but that’s a good point about it working enough to select reverse but not enough to actuate the camera. I’ll have to check that out.

The garage did say if I took the van somewhere else and it was found they’d broken it, they would pay the bill. It’s not much consolation.

But thanks guys for the tips. I’ll let you know what happens next.

Just checked. Reversing lights are on. ???

So that should be sending a signal to the pioneer system, shouldn’t it.

Cheers

You said "The screen looks like it’s about to show the rear view etc".

Perhaps the monitor is getting the 'reverse' signal but not the camera input?

See this video as there are settings that effect the operation

CampervanCat, I've just responded to your same query on Motorhome Fun.

If I'm looking at the correct manual, the reversing camera setting defaults to "Off" if the battery has been disconnected for any reason, which could have been likely during the Bear Lock installation.

The Pioneer unit also seems to be capable of checking the status of it's connection leads and the reverse gear input, and can display the reverse input signal in real time when you operate the gear lever if the signal is being received.

I've put the details in the MHF post, but I'll copy it here:

A current manual can be viewed or downloaded from here:

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/avic-evo1-dt2-c-gr/support

Camera settings are on page 53. The camera may have defaulted to "Off" if the battery has been disconnected during the installation.

It is enabled from the "System" settings screen. Touch "Camera settings" then "Back Camera Input" and check that it's set to "On".

Page 55 also refers to a connection leads status menu:

Again from the "System" settings screen, touch "System Information" and then "Connection Status". The status of "Back Signal" in the screen display should change as you move the gear lever in or out of reverse gear.

Yep cheers. I’ll go check that now. Don’t really want to start undoing the dashboard if I can help it.

Thank you

Back