Technical Decato 2006 Problem Starting when warm

Currently reading:
Technical Decato 2006 Problem Starting when warm

GeraldHales

Hi, I have a Fiat Ducato 2006 2.3 Diesel, just starting to have a problem starting. From Cold will usually start, but when warm, if I stop, I have a problem re-starting. The Engine will crank over but not fire, it does eventually start. I suspect a fuel issue. I have replaced the fuel filter so it is not that.

I have had a similar issue in the past with a Saab car, it turned out to be the relay for the fuel pump.

Does any one know where and which relay I should be looking for?

I have download a operators manual from the site, it lists all the fuse but alas nothing about the relays.

Cheers
Gerald

Gerald,

You have not stated whether yours is an x244, or x250, 2.3 JTD. 2006 was the changeover year to the x250.

For the x244 JTD, the fuel pump relay to which you refer is T10 and is situated in the engine bay fusebox. With the main M6 input cable on the right as you look into the fusebox, relay T10 is the relay 2nd from your right (vehicle LHS), on the further rearmost row. An x250 vehicle could differ in this respect.

The fuel lift pump is a submersible pump in the fuel tank. You should be able to hear it running when you first switch the ignition ON.

Having many years of experience in working with relays in several different disciplines, I am often sceptical about the number of times relays are the first suspect for faults, but you have prior experience on your Saab.

I expect that you wish to try a substitute relay. If as is common, your Ducato does not have front fog lights, the relay for these may be available. It is in the opposite corner of the fusebox, that is towards the centre front of the vehicle.

When working in the engine bay fusebox the main supply to it (M6 stud) is a hazard. It would be wise to disconnect the battery negative as a safety precaution.

Hi Communicator, many thanks for your reply, not sure what I have, x244 / x250, not sure how to find that out either. But I will take a look at the relays suggested and have a listen for a pump sometime tomorrow... then report back. Cheers Gerald.

For model number look at the VIN on the V5A registration document, or on the vehicle plate which is usually riveted under the bonnet, over the radiator. VIN should have the format xxx244....., or xxx250...

Back