Punto 2012+ Punto Pop power steering failure when turning on

Currently reading:
Punto 2012+ Punto Pop power steering failure when turning on

Vikkieff

Hi :) I have a 2013 punto pop and for a while now when I go to turn it on the battery light stays on and the power steering sticks. This fixes when I turn it off and on again. There are no problems with the power steering at any other time. This also never happens when I half turn then full turn the key when turning on. Does anybody have any ideas what this could be?
I’ve had it checked by mechanics and there are no faults, and an auto electrician has been out and run a diagnostic but nothing showed. Nobody seems to have heard of this before :(
It’s not an issue for me as I’m now used to starting it up with a double key turn but I’m going to want to sell my car and think this could be a problem for someone wanting to buy it.
Thank you :)

Hi.
Its low battery power at start.up

(Lots of options..could be the alternator)

Turn the key.. let dash do all its checks.. then start engine

That should work ok.. do that for the rest of the week.. ;)

Let us know :)

Charlie

Thanks for the reply! I have been doing this and it works fine that way so it’s not really a problem for me using the car but now that I want to sell it I can see it becoming a problem. Do you know if there is a fix for this/if it is something that will cause a big problem when trying to sell? Thank you

Thanks for the reply! I have been doing this and it works fine that way so it’s not really a problem for me using the car but now that I want to sell it I can see it becoming a problem. Do you know if there is a fix for this/if it is something that will cause a big problem when trying to sell? Thank you

Hi again.

As you figured out this method works :)

The reason..:
the power in the battery is 'a bit'low :eek:

When you 1st turn the key ..LOTS of electrical stuff is happening..

A bit like turning on a P.C...
lots of power 'booting.up' the cars electronics..
+ IT RUNS THE FUEL PUMP..
Motors take a fair bit of power.. ;)

So all of the booting up + pump motor + starter motor = just too much

The biggest load is the Steering motor.. when this gets robbed of power.. its sensors flag up 'unexpected voltage' :(
(Thats what you are getting)

Ok.. what is the fix?

MORE POWER.. ;)

The Battery.. is just storage

The Alternator.. does the charging..and supplies BigPower for extra loads. Power Steering. Aircon. Electric windows.. roof. Etc.

Obvious..and cheapest.. is the battery.

They tend to perform great for @3 years.. then tail off.

Short journeys.. and winter cold starts give them a proper hard life.. :eek:

Stop start systems need a special battery though (double the cost)

Alternators are a pain to swap..and cost more

Basic wiring COULD BE A problem..

But from what youve said.. its a basic issue like a tired battery.

Cheapest item and 10 mins to swap ;)

Here is a link .. might give you reassurance :)

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/477923-red-steering-wheel-light.html

Charlie

Last edited:
Back