General Tyres

Currently reading:
General Tyres

Pat McCoy

I have 17 inch wheels at moment with 45 on them
Has anyone got 50 on as I sick to death with pot holes
Just want to know if they fit as in no rubbing ,Clearance issues Pat

If they are standard fit wheels on a sporting model that sits slightly lower, then yes I think they will rub,

I have marks on my wheel arch liners where the standard wheels have managed to make contact 205/45/17

Tagging on a tyre thread. Been pottering about in my garage lately and I took one of my Coupe wheels into tyre place to get it re sealed, to my horror the chap said, you have a 2006 tyre :eek: New tyre time, the only ones he could get 225 45 16 were Yokohama. Back at my garage I checked the other tyres on my Coupe, bloody hell 2004 :eek: So I’ve managed to do a deal, one already fitted and another on the way for a pair at the rear. I’ll get the fronts when I can drive the car into tyre place.

The Coupe is pretty much my weekend/toy, so not much miles. Quite a surprise on the dates on the tyres though, the treads were very good, very good indeed.

Check your tyres :D

I bought a punto diesel last December
Its a 2008 68k..nothing for a diesel

The tyres on it were awful..all been run soft..( the better tread ones were perished..so binned)

I do 250 every weekend so thought.. nevermind.. inflate them correctly.. they will last til the summer..and any pothole issues.. nevermind

Got back in the car today..
1st 100+ mile trip since early march

Hoping to finish those tyres off in the next 6 weeks ;)

Oh.. the spare wheel.. original full size pirelli.. @2008 still had paper labels on

Last edited:
Random and unnecessary story time !!!

you have a 2006 tyre :eek: New tyre time, the only ones he could get 225 45 16 were Yokohama. Back at my garage I checked the other tyres on my Coupe, bloody hell 2004 :eek:

Back in 1999 I was not long out of school and working in a computer company building and repairing PCs (back when everyone wanted a big white box PC and where happy to pay £1000+ for something that is no less powerful than your average child's toy.) In the next door unit was a printing and design works. The owner of this place had two cars a lotus Elise, which back then was super special because it had only been launched a couple of years before. He also had a bright yellow Fiat Coupe, I believe it was the turbo and being a bit of a fan of fast cars he was also a fan of track racing them.

Literally every weekend he would take one of them to the track and usually every Monday morning was stood by our back fire escape (on the outside) was a stack of tyres with no tread left on them.

He used to burn through a set of tyres for one of those two cars, every weekend. I dread to think how much he spent on tyres.

As I said totally unnecessary story, but your post made me think about it. Back then the Coupe was like nothing else on the road, had rear lights like a Ferrari and was a real head turning in rural Norfolk.

Last edited:
Random and unnecessary story time !!!

He used to burn through a set of tyres for one of those two cars, every weekend. I dread to think how much he spent on tyres.

As I said totally unnecessary story, but your post made me think about it. Back then the Coupe was like nothing else

He probably only spent somewhere between:

What the wife was aware of

And

What his accountant offset against

I recall being stuck in a fastfit place a few years ago.. grudging paying £300 for cinq.:sei brakes

When a guy rolled up in a new JLR device..

Tyres..? They are to order sir £500 a corner..

But I suppose against finance payments and fuel.. thats a similar inconvenience

Last edited:
Back