Panda 2012+ Thanks for the add and Hello! :)

Currently reading:
Panda 2012+ Thanks for the add and Hello! :)

Crazyj

Hello all.

I'm keen to buy a new Panda Cross or 4x4. I'm buying new, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do the deal before Christmas as there were some big discounts going on....but I guess Fiat will release some new offers again soon.

So, in the meantime, apart from a few toys and a little extra ground clearance, are there any other reasons to pay quite a bit extra for a Cross? I do like its chunky looks, I have to say...

Also, it looks to me that they now put a slightly detuned (85bhp vs 90bhp)twinair engine in these cars. Can anyone confirm?

And it also looks like they've stopped using mud and snow tyres and instead now fit summer tyres. Is this going to have a detrimental effect?

It has to be said, however, that whilst I live in West Cornwall where there is plenty of mud and surface water on the roads a lot of the time, I'm not going to be going off roading as such....I just like the idea of the extra stability in bad weather.

TIA

Jason

I just got a Cross 4 x 4 b4 Xmas. Yes it’s 85HP. Ref the tyres- your correct, it comes with 175/85 summer tyres which are perfectly good for normal road work, but certainly not the deal for snow or mud. I contacted the dealer when I spotted this (as the configurator still shows M + S tyres.)He agrees and I’ve lodged a call with Fiat Customer Support,who he assures me will remedy the tyre issue and arrange to get the correct M + S tyres fitted FOC - watch this space. I’d definitely go for to winter pack as an option

Thanks for the info. Pretty much as I thought... yes, I would definitely be going for the winter pack too ?

Update - almost 4 weeks on no resolution - Fiat Customer Service are still trying to resolve with the UK Product Manager:bang:

Ordered my Cross yesterday - white, with DAB, winter pack, reversing sensors, tinted glass and a space saver spare wheel. It's in stock so shouldn't be long before I take delivery! Very excited!! Out of interest, how much do a set of Mud and Snow tyres cost?

IMG_2611.jpg

Here it is!

Ordered my Cross yesterday - white, with DAB, winter pack, reversing sensors, tinted glass and a space saver spare wheel. It's in stock so shouldn't be long before I take delivery! Very excited!! Out of interest, how much do a set of Mud and Snow tyres cost?

My Michelin Alpins were £344 just a few weeks back. Subjectively I prefer them to the Continentals fitted to me previous 4x4. I do think they are noisier at Motorway speeds, but better dry road performance and steering response. Timing of the purchase of winter tyres seriously affects the price. Now is the wort time as stocks are low. Best order in April / May in my experience and you may get away with £70 each fitted.

I just got a Cross 4 x 4 b4 Xmas. Yes it’s 85HP. Ref the tyres- your correct, it comes with 175/85 summer tyres which are perfectly good for normal road work, but certainly not the deal for snow or mud. I contacted the dealer when I spotted this (as the configurator still shows M + S tyres.)He agrees and I’ve lodged a call with Fiat Customer Support,who he assures me will remedy the tyre issue and arrange to get the correct M + S tyres fitted FOC - watch this space. I’d definitely go for to winter pack as an option

I managed to tow an overweight caravan off a VERY soggy flooded field on the road tyres in the worst of the summer rains. It left ruts around 100mm deep behind it. No drama at all so unless you go off road or your mad like me the M+S tyres are really a luxury and they will cost 5-10mpg too. I am however delighted how well my new winter tyres perform in the cold and wet faultless and secure at all times so far.

Looking good. I nearly bought one, or the Waze but stuck to the lounge because I don't go off road

Good decision. We have a Lounge too and its a mighty nice car to drive. If a fair bit slower it uses an awful lot less petrol. You can tell the tyres are wider as it has more grip and feels more relaxed. I enjoy both but we have yet to see how much difference there is in bad weather. Getting in and out of the 4x4 is just that much easier and as we are getting older its a significant thing now.

I’ve still had no response from Fiat Customer Care - appalling service. I do use my car off-road quite a bit, as I’ve got horses out in the countryside - poor tracks, single lane etc, plus I shoot and fish so I’m often off-road. I decided to bite the bullet and fitted some Michelin Latitude Cross 185/65/15. The car is now unstoppable - I’m looking forwards to the snow as they’re M&S although not classed as Winter tyres.

I’ve still had no response from Fiat Customer Care - appalling service. I do use my car off-road quite a bit, as I’ve got horses out in the countryside - poor tracks, single lane etc, plus I shoot and fish so I’m often off-road. I decided to bite the bullet and fitted some Michelin Latitude Cross 185/65/15. The car is now unstoppable - I’m looking forwards to the snow as they’re M&S although not classed as Winter tyres.

How do the tyres compare on normal roads to the summers? Specifically interested in comfort and noise levels. Can’t decide between the Latitude Cross and Cross Climates...

I managed to tow an overweight caravan off a VERY soggy flooded field on the road tyres in the worst of the summer rains. It left ruts around 100mm deep behind it. No drama at all so unless you go off road or your mad like me the M+S tyres are really a luxury and they will cost 5-10mpg too. I am however delighted how well my new winter tyres perform in the cold and wet faultless and secure at all times so far.
5-10 mpg lost with the cross climate all season type tyres really?

I would say the tyres are a bit more comfortable than the summer tyres , but perhaps a tad noisier. They maybe don’t feel as sharp and accurate as the summer tyres, but on reflection I prefer them. I chose the Latitude because they were 65% onroad 35% off-road biased whereas I believe that Cross Contact are 90/10. The Latitude suit my usage better - mileage compared to summer is approx 3 mpg less

HI, I bought the WAZE T/A 90hp with special deal get, 4x4 for the price of 2x4. Nearly bought the cross about 1.5k more. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I had to drop my car back to the dealer this morning to have the dealer fit reversing sensors looked at (over-zealous beeping regardless of anything behind me...), and I have been loaned a 500 twinair lounge. OK, it has 6000 miles on the clock and my Panda has just under 400, but the engine seems quite a lot smoother, quieter and quicker....the clutch is smoother too....can I expect my engine to make similar improvements?? Have to confess to liking the driving style of the 500 too.....leans a lot less in corners and less bouncy - but then, I expected that lol....

I had to drop my car back to the dealer this morning to have the dealer fit reversing sensors looked at (over-zealous beeping regardless of anything behind me...), and I have been loaned a 500 twinair lounge. OK, it has 6000 miles on the clock and my Panda has just under 400, but the engine seems quite a lot smoother, quieter and quicker....the clutch is smoother too....can I expect my engine to make similar improvements?? Have to confess to liking the driving style of the 500 too.....leans a lot less in corners and less bouncy - but then, I expected that lol....

Read about the TA.. ;)

My 2013 punto was still freeing off at 20k

Our 63 plate PANDA has 16k..and is hard work compared to the puntoTA..Now on 52k

Smooth and economical :)

Back