Technical crank pulley removal

Currently reading:
Technical crank pulley removal

Glyn22800

Decided this morning that the timing belt on my 244 petrol ducato needs replacing. All went well until I came to the crank pulley. I realise I need an extractor but the problem is which one?

The engine is a Peugeot 2.0 and the pulley drives the alternator and the steering pump with two separate belts. I was expecting to find two holes in the centre to attach an extractor. But alas, could not be that simple. The pulley only has one elongated hole in the dish of it. (not face on)
Has any one come across this before and if so would you know what the extractor looks like, because, quite frankly, I have not got a clue what to look for.
Glyn:mad:

Is this not the same engine as depicted on eLearn, 2.0 16v?

eLearn does not mention any special tools for removal of the crankshaft pulley. This would be the similar to my 2.8 jtd, where the pulley can drop off the crankshaft once the retaining bolt is removed. Care needed.

NB eLearn mentions angular torque setting for the bolt, when replaced.

Many thanks for responding to my problem.
No the engine is not a 16 valve, nothing that posh.
Do I take it a legged puller would be able to do the job?

now that its been established which engine ? if I remember correctly its a 3 legged puller which when under tension you strike the centre punch which shocks the pulley off the KEY WAY be careful you don't lose the key as you will need it for reassembly. good luck.

May I endorse jontee61's post. I have seen the "shocking" method being used very effectively to release seized lorry wheel nuts. This was many years ago in a rural garage, before impact wrenches became commonplace.

I thank you guys for your thoughts on the problem.

I have used this method many times in the past on different things but just wanted to make sure it was the only option. Would have been much easier if they made it with a couple of threaded holes to pull on.
Ordered a set of heavy duty pullers this morning

Watch this space, I'll tell you how I get on
Cheer and happy new year to you
Glyn

Now for some good news;

first may I say that before I sought your advise on this matter I had done all the usual things i.e. levers hammers and, of course, swearing. All to no avail.
However this morning I have a leak on the workshop roof and needed two new sheets. Problem? Van in bits.

So I start to reassemble it, when I use a lever to move the steering pump so I can refit the belt, the pulleys, to my amazement, just fell off!
Only thing to say is those immortal words; I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

Thanks for the help (y)

Jontee61,

This thread relates to the auxilliary drive pulley, not the crankshaft timing pulley. No keyway needed.

communicator. if you re-read original posting it quite clearly states CRANK PULLEY so one of us is confused????

Point taken, but if you read the text, the OP clearly states that the pulley drives the alternator, and steering pump via two separate belts.

I submit that neither of us is confused, its just that we have focussed on different items.

Removing the crakshaft timing pulley would be a problem. It seems that it is shrink fit, and you have to make grooves (slots) in it to accept a puller.

If the engine turns over, i would use the bump method.
Let your starter motor/engine do all the work.
Only require a tiny engine crank to loosen bolt.
No special tools needed!

I use this on other cars.:D:D

I wouldn't be hitting on the end your crankshaft unless you want to damage the seals.

Admittedly, i am new to owning a 2.8 JTD engine but the same principle should apply for getting the crankshaft pulley bolt off.

Hopefully that will work for you?
I will have to do the same job myself soon...:cool:

Ok. This crankshaft pulley may not be keyed....if it is like the 2.8 JTD engine pulley which is not keyed.

The crankshaft bolt may press this crankshaft pulley into the crankshaft.
Yeah...what is your engine model?

Use of a puller most likely required.
Tap with a punch hey? As mentioned by others .... I am taking notes now...
Kudos to others.

New engine for me. New method.
Back to school for me! lol (y)

Last edited:
Back