Technical Electrical problem (burnt wires)

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical problem (burnt wires)

Fayeh75

bought a 2015 fiat 500x 6th April this year from Springfield garage Gateshead. Apparently it had 6 months warranty on it although I have no evidence of this; I know I should have checked. I've also recently found out that the car does not have a log book...I found out when I tried to see when the service was due.
About a month ago I noticed the outside temperature seemed higher than it should be and the recent cold spell we had which was -5 was, my car was reading 28 degrees! Last Saturday the 30th November all the warning signs were going off on the computer to check all the lights and my right indicator was going really fast. I drove straight to my local garage where they changed bulbs etc but made no difference but realized all my lights at the driver's side at the back weren't working at all. Come Monday I took it back for further investigation and was told there had been a fire in the offright rear lamp which had been caused by part of the wiring overheating and had melted part of the multiplug so needs a new lamp and harness. My garage has said this shouldn't of happened for the age of the car and could replace the parts but we need to know why it has happened otherwise could happen again. Springfield where I bought the car has since ceased business so I have opened a case with Fiat who have told me to pay for a diagnosis at a authorised dealer.
My confidence in Fiat has completely eroded and I have grave concerns that they will try to tell me that the fire was somehow my fault and I that I a liable for the cost of repair. I'm also concerned for other people driving Fiat 500X's that have a similar electrical fire risk; my two children are often passengers in my car and the thought the the fire could have spread scares me. I want the situation sorted out but don't want to be fobbed off or have the wool pulled over my eyes, does anyone have any advice in terms of how I can ensure an honest response from Fiat: it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Faye

If your car is a 2015 I’d be surprised if it had any warranty on it when you bought it as fiat only give 3 years. The 6 months was likely what the dealer you bought it from was offering and would be worthless given they have stopped trading.

The car being around 4 years old it’s likely fiat will not be very fourth coming or helpful sadly. They may offer something like contributing towards the cost, but this is still going to cost you a lot of money given that that light clusters and wiring looms can be very expensive.

I would also suggest a “fire” is a bit over dramatic, it’s common in many makes of cars that tail light wiring can get hot and cause damage, a lot of this can be due to corrosion developing in the connections as the tail lights generally don’t get warmed up or much attention so water accumulates on cold metal parts.

Warranty or not, the selling dealer is responsible for any fault that was present, or may have been developing, at the time of sale, for a period of 6 months. No use to you now of course.

bought a 2015 fiat 500x 6th April this year from Springfield garage Gateshead.

I've also recently found out that the car does not have a log book..

Faye

Without wishing to add to your woes but I would not have taken the car off the Forecourt without having the log book.............

Without wishing to add to your woes but I would not have taken the car off the Forecourt without having the log book.............
I only discovered this recently. I trusted the garage had done this.

bought a 2015 fiat 500x 6th April this year from Springfield garage Gateshead. Apparently it had 6 months warranty on it although I have no evidence of this; I know I should have checked. I've also recently found out that the car does not have a log book...I found out when I tried to see when the service was due.
About a month ago I noticed the outside temperature seemed higher than it should be and the recent cold spell we had which was -5 was, my car was reading 28 degrees! Last Saturday the 30th November all the warning signs were going off on the computer to check all the lights and my right indicator was going really fast. I drove straight to my local garage where they changed bulbs etc but made no difference but realized all my lights at the driver's side at the back weren't working at all. Come Monday I took it back for further investigation and was told there had been a fire in the offright rear lamp which had been caused by part of the wiring overheating and had melted part of the multiplug so needs a new lamp and harness. My garage has said this shouldn't of happened for the age of the car and could replace the parts but we need to know why it has happened otherwise could happen again. Springfield where I bought the car has since ceased business so I have opened a case with Fiat who have told me to pay for a diagnosis at a authorised dealer.
My confidence in Fiat has completely eroded and I have grave concerns that they will try to tell me that the fire was somehow my fault and I that I a liable for the cost of repair. I'm also concerned for other people driving Fiat 500X's that have a similar electrical fire risk; my two children are often passengers in my car and the thought the the fire could have spread scares me. I want the situation sorted out but don't want to be fobbed off or have the wool pulled over my eyes, does anyone have any advice in terms of how I can ensure an honest response from Fiat: it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Faye
Thanks all for the replys. Investigation still ongoing ?

Back