Technical 1991 ducato 2.5td motorhome cold start fault

Currently reading:
Technical 1991 ducato 2.5td motorhome cold start fault

Tiny91ducato

Hi to all reading this my apologies if this has been discussed before and I have not seen post I purchased a 1991 fiat ducato 2.5td motorhome last year and have lovingly restored most of it but can't solve this problem I fitted new belts fully serviced last summer ECT started and drove perfect until cold weather last year then started with problems temperature 10 degrees and above starts first turn of key below 10 cranks for 30 seconds eventually starts smokes thick grey/white smoke 2 mins after new starter battery new filters ECT all changed disconnected flamestart plug and solenoid still same been told pump timing is out as I bought in summer and had no problems till cold weather does this sound right is it possible as I fitted cambelt back on as it came off pump timing was one notch out would this be possible would it run this way any help appreciated thanks in advance

Hi thanks for replying I have no idea which type is fitted how do I tell ?? Thanks in advance

I would think as its a 91 it would be 8140-27 td direct injection 2500cc td...… the earlier td model was the 8144-21.. 2445cc td direct injection. hope that helps.

Hi thx for reply but on my understanding that system only works at 4 degrees Celsius and below and only after engine has started I was referring to disconnecting power and fuel lines to flameplug thanks anyway would there be any possibility that I may have timing one tooth out on cam belt as engine seems to breath very heavily to me I read that if one tooth out exhaust valves wouldn't open or close exactly reducing exhaust flow and back pressuring oil sump would that explain cold start and oil breathing fault together thanks again

not 100% certain but I think its possible to advance and retard the pump by 6degrees on that model without removing timing belt. worth checking out. if im wrong don't all jump on me. the system works by preheating the diesel on first cranking thus making for easy starting but as stated is thermostaticly controlled and only operates at low temperatures ie approx. 4-5 degrees c.i do know of a practical solution although unconventional that is to fit a 12v heat element into the air intake thus raising the air temperature simple on-off switch in cab.

Hi time to update everyone and hope this helps someone out turns out this was a early 8144.21 engine I had the injectors and diesel pump tested and there was no fault found the crankcase pressure became so much I could not drive motorhome anywhere as kept blowing oil out of crankcase breather until level was at minimum I pulled the cylinder head off and found 1 cracked piston all 4 pistons were removed and it was discovered every piston had siezed piston rings after searching for another set of pistons I gave up as obsolete I have found and purchased a replacement 2.5td engine only difference is this has a power steering pump fitted can I remove this and blank off where fitted to engine at bottom under fuel pump thanks in advance

Back