Technical Whining noise when reversing

Currently reading:
Technical Whining noise when reversing

Hey guys.

Hope we are all well. I have a GP TJET 1.4 2009 12k miles on the clock. I have noticed very intermittently when I reverse I will get a groan / whine sound. She does this very rarely but it does happen (see vid) you can hear it in the first few seconds but then I cannot get it to do it again.

[ame]https://youtu.be/nTKLRLSMA_o[/ame]

Thanks again

TBH I couldnt hear much noise at all. Maybe worth draining the gearbox and using a molyslip additive on refill if it bothers you...cheap,and easy enough to do.

TBH I couldnt hear much noise at all. Maybe worth draining the gearbox and using a molyslip additive on refill if it bothers you...cheap,and easy enough to do.
You can hear it 13 - 14 seconds. I understand my car is old but do you really think it's slipping at that mileage?

As I said I cant hear anything...BUT if you can then its there. I have spent too many years chasing various noises.
I dont think its slipping, just suggested Molyslip as the kinda thing thats supposed to quieten/cure various gearbox issues/noises.
Gearbox oil change is never a bad thing imho..

Last edited:
As I said I cant hear anything...BUT if you can then its there. I have spent too many years chasing various noises.
I dont think its slipping, just suggested Molyslip as the kinda thing thats supposed to quieten/cure various gearbox issues/noises.
Gearbox oil change is never a bad thing imho..
Thanks. I have changed my gear box oil a few months back and have kept up-to-date with gear box oil changes. I'll have to try get a better sound and upload that once it does it again

If oil was changed (and sound is gearbox related, not rear brakes related) , you have 2 options:
1, completely dismount gearbox out of car and open it (good luck with this)
2, leave it as it is - nothing horrible and I think you are not going on reverse every day...
There's no other chance if you changed gb oil (with official type and level of course)

1. Where's the source of the sound? Front? Rear? Left/Right? Come on! Give more details!

2. When "it" happens? Only when car is cold (after resting for hours)? Is it ambient temperature, moisture/rain related? Is it engine RPM related (if you reverse gently about 1000 rpm VS more dynamically)?

3. Who changed the oil? What type? Exactly as recommended in the manual? Is it really new? Some oils have shelf-life.

4. Car is 10 years old and has only 12000 miles? So it was neglected/abused/abandoned. Expect more problems.

5. Noise sounds like friction/abrasion+vibration = brakes are the first thing to check (disassembly and proper assembly of the pads and caliper guide/slide pins).
Brake system is not "symmetric", it works little bit different in the forward and reverse. Only in theory it shouldn't.

6. Other things to check later, if necessary. Gearbox, axles (especially if there is a support bearing on the longer axle - I don't know), clutch, maybe engine/gearbox mounts, etc.

TBH I couldn't hear much noise at all.
It's there, at 13 seconds mark. Try again (play it louder).
Or try this: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hearing-tests/

Last edited:
Sounds like a vibrating disk guard ..., or brake shoe if it comes form the rear ...

BRs, Bernie

1. Where's the source of the sound? Front? Rear? Left/Right? Come on! Give more details!

2. When "it" happens? Only when car is cold (after resting for hours)? Is it ambient temperature, moisture/rain related? Is it engine RPM related (if you reverse gently about 1000 rpm VS more dynamically)?

3. Who changed the oil? What type? Exactly as recommended in the manual? Is it really new? Some oils have shelf-life.

4. Car is 10 years old and has only 12000 miles? So it was neglected/abused/abandoned. Expect more problems.

5. Noise sounds like friction/abrasion+vibration = brakes are the first thing to check (disassembly and proper assembly of the pads and caliper guide/slide pins).
Brake system is not "symmetric", it works little bit different in the forward and reverse. Only in theory it shouldn't.

6. Other things to check later, if necessary. Gearbox, axles (especially if there is a support bearing on the longer axle - I don't know), clutch, maybe engine/gearbox mounts, etc.

It's there, at 13 seconds mark. Try again (play it louder).
Or try this: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hearing-tests/
GP. I have to say you are one of the most quick to annoyed people I have ever come across. Relax a bit man. Just so angry if everything isn't done right or every piece of info is not provided first time of the bat no exceptions! Lol I appreciate you trying to help but if you come in with this level that you seem to have form with, regardless if you had the answer I would rather you keep it to yourself and myself struggle with trying to find it. Come on man I'm sure your a good guy but you do seem to be one if the forum police types that prefer to curse out people for their mishaps than help.

Sounds like a vibrating disk guard ..., or brake shoe if it comes form the rear ...

BRs, Bernie
Having said it now it does seem more rear. Now I did change my rear brake pads a few months ago but it was doing this before then. But again I.would say it happened only 4 times ...but again my.mileage shows the little use. Seems to happen when ever really. I believe one time it was from cold and the others were when I have driven it and the car us up to temp. I have noticed again very intermittently that some time when I release the handbrake the back passenger side can drop first as if hand brake cable that side is not releasing as easy...possible thing to look at?

GP. I have to say you are one of the most quick to annoyed people I have ever come across. Relax a bit man.
Just answer the questions. And give more/full info every time you start new thread (on common problems that were discussed already - your problems are really nothing "new", and you are not special snowflake to babysit here).

Just so angry if everything isn't done right or every piece of info is not provided first time of the bat no exceptions!
Asking technical questions is "angry"? Since when? This is technical forum, not social media BS, where you beg for Likes, number of views or whatever. Are you here to fix the car or looking for something else?

...regardless if you had the answer...
So it's "something else" you are looking for.
But don't worry. We are accepting you...regardless of your disabilities. Seriously.

Lol I appreciate you trying to help but if you come in with this level that you seem to have form with, regardless if you had the answer I would rather you keep it to yourself and myself struggle with trying to find it.
I can't wait. When you'll finally start acting like an adult (Lol) and try to use the internet right way. Search (help yourself) first. Then start new threads (if necessary).

Come on man I'm sure your a good guy but you do seem to be one if the forum police types that prefer to curse out people for their mishaps than help.
Who do you foolin'? Look at the number of my posts to number of Thanks ratio, 166/34 = almost 5. It's pretty good score (I don't care about it, but it's there). So it ("my" style) works apparently. Motivates people to move their ass and actually do something (it's the hardest thing - I know, because I'm lazy too).
:cool:
So, how many different people do you need to tell you "check the brakes", before you will do it?
Or how long this topic will be? My bet is minimum 3 pages of yapping.

Just answer the questions. And give more/full info every time you start new thread (on common problems that were discussed already - your problems are really nothing "new", and you are not special snowflake to babysit here).

Asking technical questions is "angry"? Since when? This is technical forum, not social media BS, where you beg for Likes, number of views or whatever. Are you here to fix the car or looking for something else?

But don't worry. We are accepting you...regardless of your disabilities. Seriously.

I can't wait. When you'll finally start acting like an adult (Lol) and try to use the internet right way. Search (help yourself) first. Then start new threads (if necessary).

Who do you foolin'? Look at the number of my posts to number of Thanks ratio, 166/34 = almost 5. It's pretty good score (I don't care about it, but it's there). So it ("my" style) works apparently. Motivates people to move their ass and actually do something (it's the hardest thing - I know, because I'm lazy too).
So, how many different people do you need to tell you "check the brakes", before you will do it?
Wow. Struck a nerve and not being sarcy or anything just what im reading. I dont want this to b a back and forth thing. But my point is you seem to hate how i conduct myself in this forum and maybe many others. If so then just dont bother commenting on ny post. I always put up a post just waiting in the back of my mind waiting for you to come in with the sarcy / annoyance (whatever you want to call it). I do not post with the intention to get under your skin but again i dont sit down and think of every last thing to put into a post to make it a "Proper correct A* post". My point is simply just dont worry about my posts just do you and i would rather you didnt comment on mine , thats all im saying. (No anger , no dig at you, just my honest thoughts.)

This is not a forum for engineers, it is a forum for DIYers in many cases with limited knowledge, and differing backgrounds. People ask on forums because it is easier to explain the problem they have than trawl through the thousands of posts on here to find a problem that may or may not fit their problem. Also new posts keep the forum alive. If it was just a group of engineers discussing 10 year old posts the forum would have died years ago.

Your whole demeanour is of someone with a superiority complex, everything you post comes across as angry. You love to offend then call people ‘snowflake’ when they get offended, yet the only real snowflake is you, losing your temper at the slightest thing. It is an Internet forum not a meeting of world leaders, the level of importance in these threads is fairly low in the grand scheme.

I’m guessing you just posted this to carry on your offensive rhetoric, well done [slow clap]

Weird... It doesn’t say moderator or admin by your name.... also this forum is not representative of the internet as a whole. Again people posting new things is what a forum is about and what keeps the forum alive. If it where a bunch of people like yourself posting over and over I can assure you this forum would not last long.

So it’s not social media but you care about your like counts :rolleyes: are you 5 years old? Your style does not ‘work’ it’s obnoxious and offensive and despite your style, you ain’t always right, people click like to say thanks for replying not because you’ve actually helped anyone. I’m not sure how acting like a dick “motivates” if someone is asking how to fix a problem they are already motivated. The only think you’ll motivate anyone to do, is leave the forum and not come back.

Now you clearly don’t get how these things work but a forum but mostly advertising some donations, but in both cases donations and advertising revenue dries up when you stop getting visitors, this forum has always been a friendly place with a good atmosphere and good natured people trying to help each other out, it would seem you don’t care about any of that, and just to bark and bitch at people.... good luck. See how far that gets you

If this does extend to 3 pages I suspect it will be mostly people chewing you (y)

Back