General Smaller Gas tank option for the 500L ??

Currently reading:
General Smaller Gas tank option for the 500L ??

jtrashy

Half the size would be great......want more storage. Can't leave any bags visible in the car in San Francisco, it will get stolen.
Is there a direct fit option? Not interested in having one custom made, I don't want it that bad.

Last edited:
There is no 'small tank option' for the 500L. However, what might get you round your problem is to see if one of the 'square' fuel tanks from an earlier model could be made to fit. They only occupy one side of the 'under the hood' area.

The tank that I had in mind comes from a 500D---the tank and the sender unit are both available from 'Van de Laan 500' in Holland.

The tank that I had in mind comes from a 500D---the tank and the sender unit are both available from 'Van de Laan 500' in Holland.

Believe it or not the N, D, F/L/R tanks all have the same capacities....
4.6 Imp. gallons, 5.5 U.S gallons. 21 Litres
I think the shape change was just to try to maximise the under bonnet space...
(I originally thought the N had a much smaller capacity..)

Half the size would be great......want more storage. Can't leave any bags visible in the car in San Francisco, it will get stolen.
Is there a direct fit option? Not interested in having one custom made, I don't want it that bad.

It really would be almost no effort for a decent shop to just cut yours and resplice it to take up less space. It'd be a couple cuts and one weld.

I am aware Peter that the capacities are the same---the reason that I suggested the 500D tank is that its shape might make it easier to stow a bag in the front--by having the tank over to one side, you are left with the whole right hand side clear.

I have attached an image of the D tank setup. Still very little room for a set of golf clubs.... IMG_0689.JPG

Diverging from the original question (nothing new there!), do you think that 2 x "D" tanks could be fittted side by side?

Ahhh taking the "Rally look" further ... as per the Mini Cooper Twin tank setup...but sometime ago you posted a picture of your "under-bonnet", with the funnel, trolley jack, the tool chest, plastic sheet, traffic cones would there be enough room for a second tank....

Would you then cut some holes in the Bonnet and fit "Monza" style filler caps...?

They may just fit, but would be very close....

(PS I do have a spare D tank..... in case I decide to upgrade an N to look like a D)

Last edited:
I am aware Peter that the capacities are the same---the reason that I suggested the 500D tank is that its shape might make it easier to stow a bag in the front--by having the tank over to one side, you are left with the whole right hand side clear.

I thought you would probably be aware of the capacities but I think many people think the tank shapes were to increase fuel capacity....

As Jumpjet has said it may be easy for a shop to knock something up...
If you look at at the N "Flat tank" you could make something similar and slimmer from alloy by bending a sort of air plane wing section that fits between the front inner arches...
there would only be 2 welds, the sides and the front edge, being flat you would still have the space below the front panel and between the tank and bonnet...

Take a look at an N tank for the shape, I'm sure you could find someone with an N tank to draw round for the shape...

Something I have looked at to create more under bonnet space was to change the battery..... rather than have a single battery, I have looked at the small compact race batteries for Motorcycles, or even std Motorcycle batteries... and create a battery tray sunk under the rear seat area...
This would not only create more space behind the front panel, but also move the weight so it is between the wheels rather than over the front end..

Last edited:
Diverging from the original question (nothing new there!), do you think that 2 x "D" tanks could be fittted side by side?

Still diverging but, Steyr put 2 'D' tanks next to each other for their 650 TR2 race model so could be an option for you.....

Attachments

• puch93_tr2.jpg
    puch93_tr2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 44
Still diverging but, Steyr put 2 'D' tanks next to each other for their 650 TR2 race model so could be an option for you.....

Now you are giving Peter ideas!!!!!

Gull wing doors next so he can get in and out easier!!!

I had considered fitting a modified fiat 126 tank under the rear seat to add some extra capacity without compromising on luggage space.

I have a spare 126 tank, I should take a look and see how close it is to fitting.

I had considered fitting a modified fiat 126 tank under the rear seat to add some extra capacity without compromising on luggage space.

I have a spare 126 tank, I should take a look and see how close it is to fitting.
That was my original thought. I used to have a 126 and theirs is a very asymmetrical tank, moulded to fit under the floor.
When I'm halfway across the Gobi Desert I will be happiest to maximize liquid capacities at the expense of luggage.
When the spare wheels are on the roof-rack I'll be able to increase my tool and spares capacity.[emoji3]

What if you got hold of a 'D' tank (which is held in with just 1 strap) and got a welding shop to cut some of the right side off (your passenger side) and weld on a flat side. That way it would be secure, and smaller. I have to ask though--is it REALLY that bad in your part of the world?---if it is, I feel sorry for you.

What if you got hold of a 'D' tank (which is held in with just 1 strap) and got a welding shop to cut some of the right side off (your passenger side) and weld on a flat side. That way it would be secure, and smaller. I have to ask though--is it REALLY that bad in your part of the world?---if it is, I feel sorry for you.

Sadly yes, ANYTHING in view inside of the car is asking to get broken into. And I live in a good neighborhood. (n)
Still a great city though.

Back