Technical 850 Spider Optional Hard Top

Currently reading:
Technical 850 Spider Optional Hard Top

Bella68

My 850 Spider has the optional hardtop, but I am missing the latch that attaches to the hardtop at the header. It is the latch that reaches down and clamps onto the piece o the windshield frame. The vinyl of the inside of the hardtop appears to have an impression, along with two holes, that is not like the inline holes. See the attached photos. Does anyone have a photo of the correct latch, and do you know if it is the same as was used on the 124 of the time. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi Bella68

I didnt have any of those either so i made two plates that fitted all the four holes once the chrome part on the screen pillar is removed. sadly i cant get to mine to photograph it at the moment.

I have spare glass for the hard top if you have an issue with yours.

Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. I suppose that is an option I could pursue, just making a fixed bracket. Were the holes in your hard top the same orientation as shown in my picture, with the 2 mounting holes horizontally, instead of vertically? It's funny that neither of our cars had those clamps.

Hi Bella

yes my bolt holes match yours, i guess fiat didn't want the over centre clamps fitted on the hard tops so they cant be randomly undone, so its solidly bolted on.

tim

Interesting. So you are saying that the hardtop catch mechanism, is not really a movable catch, but a fixed bracket that joins the two, and cannot be easily/readily removed? Do you have any photos of what this bracket originally looked like? I'd also be curious to see a pic of what you did.

Hi Bella

i dont think ive ever seen an original set up, as i said sadly i cant get to mine at the moment to photograph it but i will when i have a chance.

Tim

Hi.
I recently obtained a '68 850 Spider from Spain and am presently getting various missing parts together. Among other missing bits was the over centre clamps for the soft top (now obtained at considerable expense but quality repro parts from Mr. Fiat in the USA).
The hard top has the same problem as you describe with indentations in the head lining of the hard top and two fixing holes. Not the same as the soft top at all. I have had a Spider with a hard top many years ago and am unable to recall the exact way the roof was secured but I think it was with some kind of compression clamps again (if only to prevent water penetration when driving in rain).
If anyone knows the correct part for this fixing I'd be interested to know.

Here's what the North America owner's manual says about Hard Top Removal: "1.) Remove the four screws A (two on either side) securing the top to windshield. 2.) Remove the two screws B (one on either side) near door locks, after taking off their caps. 3.) Raise the complete top and un-screw the four nuts C (two on either side) securing the top to outer hinges (these hinges serve also for the folding top lid)."

I'd upload an image of the manual page, but I do not see an option to upload / only an option to provide a URL, and I don't have a convenient way to provide persistent posting of an image. Suffice it to say that it's clear there's no use of the soft-top levers/hardware. Instead, the hard top uses fixed brackets that are screwed into place, as stated in the owner's manual.

Last edited:
Hi All

As it happens i do have two rear windows for the metal hard tops, so if anyone finds they have no rear window please get in touch, they both have the stainless steel trim filling strips for out side too.

Thanks

Tim

Back