General Pics of rear engine lid crossmember

Currently reading:
General Pics of rear engine lid crossmember

JumpJet

Established member
Gents,
I'm working on a minor lighting mod to install a third/center brake light behind the vents of the upper engine crossmember. My plan is to use the middle four to six vents and put vertical LEDs behind them that are attached to a motorcycle flasher so they flash rapidly upon brake initiation prior to going solid.

By putting it behind the vents, it should look fairly clean, yet still help with visibility.

I was wondering if anyone has pictures of the backside of that crossmember panel or pictures of the space behind it? I'd prefer to not have to remove mine right away and was just looking for some initial steers.

If I can get something fabbed up, I may go the 3D printing route and produce a couple if there's interest.

Thanks in advance!

....................................................... My plan is to use the middle four to six vents and put vertical LEDs behind them that are attached to a motorcycle flasher so they flash rapidly upon brake initiation prior to going solid. ...................

not being a killjoy... but I believe lighting regs are such that brake lights are not allowed to flash or such ... just simple on/off based on the brake being applied...

Would probably end up being a "tug" by those in blue

not being a killjoy... but I believe lighting regs are such that brake lights are not allowed to flash or such ... just simple on/off based on the brake being applied...

Would probably end up being a "tug" by those in blue

I'm in the US. This doesn't apply...or if it does is ignored because it's ubiquitous on bikes and even new production cars (Subarus for example)

As there are only a few screws holding the rear vent panel on (I am assuming that is the one that you are speaking about--the panel under the rear window),I would suggest that you remove it as there are at least 2 different variations in the BODY panel under the rear window. 1 variation has a few large square holes that are big enough that you can put a small oil cooler through them (and secure it to the top of the engine bay top panel) and another variation has a large number of small oblong holes.

As there are only a few screws holding the rear vent panel on (I am assuming that is the one that you are speaking about--the panel under the rear window),I would suggest that you remove it as there are at least 2 different variations in the BODY panel under the rear window. 1 variation has a few large square holes that are big enough that you can put a small oil cooler through them (and secure it to the top of the engine bay top panel) and another variation has a large number of small oblong holes.

Ok. Valid. I'm just anxious to pull that off and possibly chip paint in the process. I don't want to make the paint situation any worse.

Here are the picture, don’t know why they are inverted using my phone

Attachments

• EAAE9CE7-D8E4-49F5-97BF-CEB1731D2C8C.jpeg
    EAAE9CE7-D8E4-49F5-97BF-CEB1731D2C8C.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 48
  • 60F01DD9-4437-46C6-A4DB-AE60399B2D8E.jpeg
    60F01DD9-4437-46C6-A4DB-AE60399B2D8E.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 4E379A32-F05C-435E-9383-4D1634DD5717.jpeg
    4E379A32-F05C-435E-9383-4D1634DD5717.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 88
Odds anyone has a junked body they could cut out a portion of that center section I could buy off you for prototyping? Longshot, but worth asking.

Here is a picture of a third light strip in the rear grill and another light on top of the speakers on the rear parcel shelf

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_204622_671.jpg
    IMG_20190707_204622_671.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 39
Back