Technical Rear tracking - wheel sticking out at the back

Currently reading:
Technical Rear tracking - wheel sticking out at the back

My latest project (not a rear accident) has a strange thing where the offside rear wheel seems to be protruding outwards at the rear. Comparing the two sides the nearside is dead straight but the offside sticks out quite a bit. There is no uneven wear on the tyre and I’ve had the wheels off and jacked up today but both sides look the same and I can’t see anything is deformed.

Is rear tracking even a thing on these cars. Alignment does need doing as the steering wheel is at about 11 o clock so I’ll need to take it to be done anyway.

Worst case I have to replace the rear axle/beam but don’t want to go to the expense if unnecessary. All a bit weird but drives ok.

Photo attached IMG_4573.JPG

Last edited:
Put a spirit level(vertically) on the other wheel, now compare it to this one ensuring the ground is level flat and smooth?

New alel from IM axle

It’s not the ground although it is uneven but is where I’ve parked all my cars since 2002. Going to take it to local tyre/exhaust place tomorrow see if they can fathom it out. They normally do my geometry when I need it.

Unfortunately it appears the rear beam has taken a knock. Non adjustable on these wee cars.

Unfortunately it appears the rear beam has taken a knock. Non adjustable on these wee cars.

:yeahthat:

Easily done if you slide the rear of the car into a kerb. This could have happened in the accident even if there are no other obvious signs of rear end damage.

Remember if shopping secondhand there are two types of rear beams fitted to these cars; the early type without the stiffening bar, and the later type which has it. The changeover was the 2010 model year. Springs and dampers aren't interchangeable between the two.

This looks from the pictures to be the earlier type of beam without the stiffening bar.

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

Easily done if you slide the rear of the car into a kerb. This could have happened in the accident even if there are no other obvious signs of rear end damage.

Remember if shopping secondhand there are two types of rear axles fitted to these cars; the early type without the stiffening bar, and the later type which has it. The changeover was the 2010 model year. Springs and dampers aren't interchangeable between the two.

This looks from the pictures to be the earlier type of beam without the stiffening bar.
The second gen beam was actually fitted from late 2009 as the November 09 built model I had was fitted with one
But definitely all post 2010 cars will hav them

The second gen beam was actually fitted from late 2009 as the November 09 built model I had was fitted with one
But definitely all post 2010 cars will hav them

Some 2010 model year cars will have been built in late 2009. The other big change was that S/S became standard at that time, so any car that does not have S/S ought to have the first generation beam. The converse isn't necessarily true, as S/S was an option from launch, so having S/S doesn't guarantee you'll have the later type beam (though it's highly likely; it wasn't a commonly chosen option).

Hogarth's razor; The most likely thing to go wrong is the most likely thing to go wrong, otherwise it wouldn't be the most likely thing to go wrong.

So.. if something has gone wrong it makes sense to find out what the most likely thing to go wrong is, since that's the most likely thing to have gone wrong.

The axle is a big steel beam with the trailing arms bolted to it. Something twisting that big steel beam out of shape but not damaging anything else; either the mounts to the body or the trailing arms or the bushes doesn't sound like the most likely thing to go wrong.

Get your neck under there and have a look at that stub where the trailing arm attaches. If it was bent, the epoxy coating may be cracked or missing. I would also remove the trailing arm to check that it's not bent and that the bush isn't damaged.

I suppose it's possible.. but difficult for me to imagine.. how the axle (he size of the Titanic) can be bent but the rubber trailing arm bush with its M10/12 bolt didn't get damaged more/instead.

Ralf S.

Hogarth's razor; The most likely thing to go wrong is the most likely thing to go wrong, otherwise it wouldn't be the most likely thing to go wrong.

So.. if something has gone wrong it makes sense to find out what the most likely thing to go wrong is, since that's the most likely thing to have gone wrong.

The axle is a big steel beam with the trailing arms bolted to it.

I suppose it's possible.. but difficult for me to imagine.. how the axle (he size of the Titanic) can be bent but the rubber trailing arm bush with its M10/12 bolt didn't get damaged more/instead.

Ralf S.

Quite possible the stubs WERE damaged..
and replacing them seemed a good cost effective solution.

The old adage about used cars applies ;)

The axle is a big steel beam with the trailing arms bolted to it. Something twisting that big steel beam out of shape but not damaging anything else; either the mounts to the body or the trailing arms or the bushes doesn't sound like the most likely thing to go wrong.

Get your neck under there and have a look at that stub where the trailing arm attaches. If it was bent, the epoxy coating may be cracked or missing. I would also remove the trailing arm to check that it's not bent and that the bush isn't damaged.

Ralf S.

Trailing arm? Isn’t it all one piece? Can pick up a complete unit on eBay for £125.

Trailing arm? Isn’t it all one piece? Can pick up a complete unit on eBay for £125.

Yes it is. Almost certainly the beam is bent, but it's worth checking the stub axles, just in case you are lucky. Fingers crossed.

If buying secondhand, check carefully for corrosion, especially around the spring pans - this is one of the weakest parts of the structure from the rust perspective, and a well known issue.

Last edited:
Back