Technical Oil Filter location

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Filter location

My neighbour has acquired a pristine Croma 56 plate . we are new to this model can anyone give me guidance how to carry out a oil filter change?
the engine is a diesel 1.9 Multijet 16v 150 BHP if it helps to identify the engine.

I had a quick look after taking down the undertray but all I see is a loads of pipes in the way of everything .
Your help and advice will be appreciated.

Hi,
The filter is a paper element type in a cast housing with a plastic cap on the lower rear of the block. It's below the alternator. The housing cap has a big hex moulded in it.
You need to reset both the service indicator in the body computer and the oil change counter in the ECU. Best way to do yhis is with Multiecuscan www.multiecuscan.net with a USB ELM 327 interface and yellow adaptor lead.
This is a good one www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Diagnostics-...BD2-cables-adapters-MULTIECUSCAN/281712496622
MES is pretty much essential for servicing the Croma.

Robert G8RPI.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi
Thank you for your quick reply , very helpful and have now found the oil filter exactly as you described. I have got to say the 32mm socket on the oil filter housing is a bit awkward to get at , but doable with patience , before the next time I do this i will invest in a 1/2 inch stumpy ratchet that will ease with any future removal.
I have access to multiecuscan as I own several alfa's that I work on, before I begin to start working on the oil reset How do I find it through the menu screeen? Or is it obvious under the engine listing, once again any advice is welcome.

Hi
Thank you for your quick reply , very helpful and have now found the oil filter exactly as you described. I have got to say the 32mm socket on the oil filter housing is a bit awkward to get at , but doable with patience , before the next time I do this i will invest in a 1/2 inch stumpy ratchet that will ease with any future removal.
I have access to multiecuscan as I own several alfa's that I work on, before I begin to start working on the oil reset How do I find it through the menu screeen? Or is it obvious under the engine listing, once again any advice is welcome.
Should be under the service section if memory serves me correctly

If the oil degradation counter is not reset, after 20000 miles the system will not regen the DPF.
In the early days of DPF many Fiat / Alfa dealers were not aware of this.

Keith

My neighbour has acquired a pristine Croma 56 plate . we are new to this model can anyone give me guidance how to carry out a oil filter change?
the engine is a diesel 1.9 Multijet 16v 150 BHP if it helps to identify the engine.

I had a quick look after taking down the undertray but all I see is a loads of pipes in the way of everything .
Your help and advice will be appreciated.

Hi,
No problem, I have the same model
The oil change counterr reset is in the Engine module - Adjustments.
MES-oil-reset1.jpg

You should also reset the service under the service module in MES
Robert G8RPI.

Hi Robert
Once again thanks for your response when I get a minute will get my neighbour to bring the vehicle around and will have a "go"

interesting to find out that the DPF is not regen after 20000 miles . Makes you wonder if other manufacturers are guilty of this?

The theory is that the old oil would not cope with the extra temperature of the regen. Could that possibly lead to combustion of the engine oil, and losing control of the ignition?

Keith

Hi

The filter location is a pig.

Some hints:

1) there is a small drain spout on the side of the filter housing. You can connect a hose this this then as you start to undo the filter cap a drain channel/groove will help to drain the filter down. HOWEVER it is really only a partial drain down so expect to get covered in oil.

2) a stumpy ratchet may help but I found the best way to get a good socket purchase and drive on the 32mm plastic nut is to use a universal joint and then two or three 1/2 extension drives that will reach along the back of the engine into to wheel arch. A normal ratchet works just fine then

3) it is not uncommon, despite oil/grease being used to lube the cap threads and "O" ring for the cap to be extremely difficult to initial undo and then to fully unwind. To avoid damage to the plastics 32mm nut head one has to ensure a really good square on drive is obtained

Really daft place to put an oil filter :yuck:

Hi s130

Thanks for your advice it sounds quite promising to try out next time. You are right about the oil covering my lovely new Alfa overalls sleeve as it does not drain out fully . Good idea about the hose that would have helped.

Hi s130

Thanks for your advice it sounds quite promising to try out next time. You are right about the oil covering my lovely new Alfa overalls sleeve as it does not drain out fully . Good idea about the hose that would have helped.

When working on my cars when I expect to get dirty or need protection I just wear a boiler suit over my undies (and no vest).

For the Croma oil change I got into the habit of once I was ready to undo the filter I would first drop the boiler suit top half off and tie the sleeves around my waste and wrap/tie an old tea towel around my upper forearm . Saved the boiler suit and I only had a messy arm to towel down. Not an ideal health and safety practice.

I did toy with the idea of a vets long arm glove.

https://www.thevetstore.net/shop/arms-length-glove/

but was afraid of what the neighbours might say/think :D

Hi S130

I am already looked upon as a "weirdo" by my neighbours as I wear a red Alfa overall. Its colour has been slightly toned down with the war stains of oil from doing battle with the Croma.

You are a pioneer for the Croma fraternity as always, good honest information..

Must inform my neighbour he is part of an elite group. His Croma is in exceptional condition for its age . He is the sort that hangs onto his cars and will look after it . he has an array of cars from an austin 7 to a Rover 3500 and now a Croma lets just hope he will be able to get spares when needed.

Just coming up to 5 years ownership of mine now. Fully intend to keep it as long as possible.
Not too much trouble getting spares as they are common on the continent and many mechanical parts are common with the Vauxhall Vectra C. Fair number in scrap yards too.

Robert G8RPI.

Well I was/am with you Robert.

I had my Croma, from new for over 10 years. Once I had sorted out the common problems with early GM parts (spring, drive shafts, wheel bearing, .... the Denso alternator, etc. the only re-occurring problem I had was the repeatedly failing fuel filler cap latch mechanism.

Ignoring the very expensive clutch pressure plate assembly failure just out of warranty, the following 7 years of ownership and 10 years of towing the Croma proved to be a reliable and good work horse.

As you say spares, due to the shared platform with GM and the Vectra/Saab are not hard or expensive to sort.

I think is is fairly safe to say that the majority of Cromas now circulating on the UK roads will have had all their major issues fixed and their survival will be down to issues like "owner's love/enjoyment" as opposed to fundamental ongoing issues.

Back