Technical 2012 Punto pollen filter

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 Punto pollen filter

This thread is maybe a little simple compared to my usual "stuff" but I hope it will be helpful for our older or less mobile friends.

My oldest boy bought a 2012 1.4 8 valve a bit more than 2 years ago. Within a few days of buying we spent a day going over it and I was very surprised and impressed by how well the dealer (a big chain) had prepared the car. New discs and pads on the front, engine oil and filter renewed, air filter looked pretty new, wiper blades nearly new, etc, etc. Last summer I did a big service on it and we found "a dirty little secret". I had not checked the Pollen filter when he'd bought it because it looked very difficult to get at. The pollen filter was filthy.

The Haynes manual and some others advise removal of the glove box but the glove box in this car, whilst looking the same from the outside, doesn't have retaining fixings that look at all like the ones shown and I just couldn't figure out how to remove it. There are a number of you tube clips recommending that only the foot well shield needs to be removed (it just pulls off) Now, because the glove box is in the way, it's not so easy to access the cover for the filter. It's a quite narrow, vertical molding of black plastic which is hooked on at the top and has a wee finger released clip at the bottom (some, like mine, have a small screw to remove first).

This is where the problems start if, like me, you are not so flexible any more. Kneeling, on my metal replacement knees, on the ground outside the passenger door, trying to look out of the top of my glasses (bifocals so the top won't focus on near items) and get my hands and arms to work in the restricted space available was very difficult and uncomfortable. However I got the old, minging, filter out. Putting the new one in defeated me and I ran out of time when he arrived needing the car to pick up his wee one from school. So the car has not had a filter in it for a year now.

Having watched a number of videos of people doing this job there was one that really struck me as maybe working for me. First chock the wheels because you are going to release the hand brake. Nothing to do with the filter but it makes it more comfortable for you as you are going to lie across it. Now place a long slender screwdriver, a tool to undo the wee screw on the bottom of the cover (if your's has one), a light (cree led works for me) and the new filter all together in the passenger side footwell. Now walk round and, getting in the driver's door, lay across the front seats, on your left side. It's now relatively comfortable to wriggle your top end into the passenger's footwell, looking under the glovebox, and remove the cover and old filter. installing the new filter is not so easy until you realize it's not going to just slip into place. Look at the new filter, The top and bottom are stiffer than the sides. Angle the filter so that the top goes into the housing first. At this point the bottom of the filter is still outside the housing (so the filter is at about 45 degrees to where it will be when fitted) now, because the sides are quite flexible, you can "scrunch" up the side that is nearest the housing until the stiffer reinforced bottom edge can be entered into the housing. Now, with your hands and that long screwdriver (take care not to damage the matrix inside the casing) you can encourage the bottom edge into the bottom of the casing until the whole thing squares up inside the casing. A wee jiggle with the screwdriver helps the filter to "unscrunch" and you just need to refit the plastic cover to complete the job.

I took me maybe 5 minutes (I struggled, without success, for maybe a half hour with it last year) Because I was looking out of the bottom of my glasses I could see what I was doing all the time and, because my body was relaxed lying across those seats, even though my top end was partially in the footwell, I ended up relaxed and pain free.

A 2012 is a punto rather than a grande and they make a lot of changes to the dash, but not the heater system.

My old grande didn’t have aircon and so did not have a filter but my current Evo (essentially the same car as later 2012-18 puntos) does. My method of changing any filter is to take out the floor mats and use them to kneel on, if you need more padding add more floor mats.

Sit on your heals, body laid forward in the footwell and pull out the panel covering the filter, take the cover off the filter and pull it out.

When it comes to putting the new one in you can scrunch it up a bit if needed as is will easily pop back to its normal shape once you let go. Feed it up then shove it in and whack the covers back in place, I probably have this down to no more than 5 - 10 mins max.

My method as documented in my video on YouTube

[ame]https://youtu.be/6LBqWfW2i8I[/ame]

I think about a minute and a half in I talk about protecting knees

I’ve never trid laying across the middle of the car for this sort of job, but back in the day when I would work on vehicle electrics, I frequently ended up in some very weird positions under dashboards

Last edited:
A 2012 is a punto rather than a grande and they make a lot of changes to the dash, but not the heater system.

My method of changing any filter is to take out the floor mats and use them to kneel on, if you need more padding add more floor mats.

Sit on your heals, body laid forward in the footwell and pull out the panel covering the filter, take the cover off the filter and pull it out.

I’ve never trid laying across the middle of the car for this sort of job, but back in the day when I would work on vehicle electrics, I frequently ended up in some very weird positions under dashboards

First off congratulations on a great video. Wish I'd picked up on it last year. Also your explanation as to dash changes on later models explains a lot about why the haynes illustrations don't relate to my son's car.

Trying to do it kneeling, even on a mat, just isn't comfortable and I can't sit on my heels any more as the knees don't have that degree of bending. Lying across the seats was a wonderful solution.

I'm still up for lying with my head under the dash. Bottom on the seat squab (but wrong way up) and legs hanging over the back of the seat. Just takes me a couple of hours to get there now-a-days!

Hey Jock,

just noticed you haven't got a picture attached to your profile (yet), so I couldn't resist imagining you working under the dash.
Feel free to use it extensively if you want, it's a personal design. I can provide bigger size/vector file if you like...

Cheers, Bernie

Attachments

• LogoPunto Jock.jpg
    LogoPunto Jock.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 21
Hey Jock,

just noticed you haven't got a picture attached to your profile (yet), so I couldn't resist imagining you working under the dash.
Feel free to use it extensively if you want, it's a personal design. I can provide bigger size/vector file if you like...

Cheers, Bernie
Neither I have Bernie. Don't really know how to do it so probably on Saturday, after I've finished with the boy's Punto, I'll find out how. Quite like your design but it conveys a much greater sense of fluidity and suppleness (is that a word?) than is actually the case. Need to have a think about it.
Regards
Jock.

. Quite like your design but it conveys a much greater sense of fluidity and suppleness (is that a word?) than is actually the case.
Jock.

Hi Jock, the initial idea of the punto logo was actually to convey a feeling of "comfort and enjoying being at the wheel", so I just rotate it, add an elbow and here you go, that's 'old' Jock working under the dash, still well being (under the wheel), maybe not enjoying that much, but hey I wish you'll do it again and again (for your really well pampered children ;-) !!

Best regards, Bernard

Hi Jock, the initial idea of the punto logo was actually to convey a feeling of "comfort and enjoying being at the wheel", so I just rotate it, add an elbow and here you go, that's 'old' Jock working under the dash, still well being (under the wheel), maybe not enjoying that much, but hey I wish you'll do it again and again (for your really well pampered children ;-) !!

Best regards, Bernard
You give me a good chuckle with this Bernie. Thank you. Being supple and athletic probably makes life as a vehicle repair person easier, don't you think? It also increases frustration as age starts to limit what you can achieve!

Have you ever changed a heater matrix in the 2012 Punto?
Hi clickman. No not on a Punto yet but during my time on the tools I've done a few and quickly learned that, regardless of make, it's nearly always a nasty job if it's located under the dash. It was one of those jobs which, if you knew it was about to be handed out, it was worth developing an urgent need to spend a lengthy time in the loo in the hope that someone else would get it! I never had to do one on our old '92 Panda but was always pleased to know it was under the bonnet so probably easy to do.

I remember doing it on my 128: 4 spring clips (or even only 2 ?) and the front air collecting box was off. Cleverly enough the matrix was sandwiched between the front and back side of that box so once the front was off it was just a matter of pulling the matrix out, thanks to rubber piping !

Had to do it to trim the front air box to give room to my two twin 40mm Dell'Orto's :)

Ahhh Memories !! Cheers, Bernie

Had to do it to trim the front air box to give room to my two twin 40mm Dell'Orto's :)

Ahhh Memories !! Cheers, Bernie

As you say, Ahhh Memories! Did you run them without air filters? just the "trumpets". Wonderful noise:

or maybe this, but I would guess this one would be injected?

mind you it takes a lot to beat one of these for sheer spine tinglingness:

Or how about one of these:

"Proper" N/A engines!

No trumpets Jock, but a nice set of chromed rectangular mesh "filters" ;-)
That's already 40++ ago but I still remember the face of (some) BMW owners at street light turning green :-D ... and that noise of course: injections can't beat Dell'Orto or Weber carbs, would still twist my neck if hearing one coming ...

Cheers, Bernie

Looking at the photo, it would appear that the matrix is just held in by clips on the plastic housing. So for sure it would be a pain to drain the system and disconnect the pipe work and undoubtedly there would be some residue in the matrix its self. But it look as if once you have disconnected it it might just slide out into the passenger side foot well. Or am I missing something? Thank you very much for your help.

As shown in my video the interior panel that covers it, pulls off so easily it’s silly not to take a look, which is what I just spent 2 minutes doing. The matrix moves in and out freely except for being attached by pipes and the pipes are seemingly secured right in the side but the slightly off white clips, so take off the clips, flood the interior with coolant and then you may be able to simply pull the matrix out the side and change it.

Obviously common sense would be to drain the system, the matrix is basically the lowest point in the system so you can’t ignore draining it, but you won’t avoid getting some water on the interior.

My main question is why are you needing to change it, they are aluminium so don’t rust, certainly not on evos and 2012 puntos which are too new to have a degraded matrix especially given its alloy, there are also no steel screws or fasteners that would cause a galvanic reaction. It’s well protected where it sits so unlikely to be damaged accidentally.

So why the need to change it !?

Back