Technical remote locking/alarm problem??

Currently reading:
Technical remote locking/alarm problem??

Hi guys,
Anyone got any ideas...
the remote locking/alarm setting has suddenly stopped working on my multi (2005 'new nosejob' Eleganza.)
Was working OK, (both fobs) then started playing up. Thought it was the fob battery (only use one fob, other is my 'spare') changed battery but no difference, and, using the spare key made no difference either.
Changed batteries in both remotes, and still nothing??
No work has been done on the car, and nothing has changed, so at a bit of a loose end now?
Any advice would be much appreciated. (have tried the 'powering down' ie battery disconnect, but again, no joy)
Unlikely that both remotes would 'pack up' together surely??

This sounds like a simple connection problem - that's a misnomer if there ever was one!
Simply put, could be a power to system loss . . .
OK, you've done the obvious - changed the batteries in the fobs.
Have you tried operating the door locks by pressing the individual buttons down?
Do they all respond?
If yes: circuit to all locks is sound so look for problem starting at receiver unit
Make sure there is power to the unit
Let us know how you get on

Last edited:
I think fuse F18 is the one for the central locking. IIRC the central locking is the only thing on that fuse, so there's no quick test of a light switch or similar as a tell-tale. The fuse is located in the main interior tray under the floor of the glovebox in front of the driver.

If the fuse checks out OK, there's some more heavy-duty advice on the invaluable Multipla Owners site:
https://sites.google.com/site/fiatmultipla/Home/repairs

This sounds like a simple connection problem - that's a misnomer if there ever was one!
Simply put, could be a power to system loss . . .
OK, you've done the obvious - changed the batteries in the fobs.
Have you tried operating the door locks by pressing the individual buttons down?
Do they all respond?
If yes: circuit to all locks is sound so look for problem starting at receiver unit
Make sure there is power to the unit
Let us know how you get on
Hi Oletimer,
Yes, the central locking works fine with the key, and also if you press either the driver or passengers button on the door, all 4 doors lock/unlock (doesn't do so with the rear buttons, think this is correct), possibly a receiver problem?
Not sure where that's located though.

I think fuse F18 is the one for the central locking. IIRC the central locking is the only thing on that fuse, so there's no quick test of a light switch or similar as a tell-tale. The fuse is located in the main interior tray under the floor of the glovebox in front of the driver.

If the fuse checks out OK, there's some more heavy-duty advice on the invaluable Multipla Owners site:
https://sites.google.com/site/fiatmultipla/Home/repairs
Hi W.M.F,
Fuse 18 on my multi does the front windows, nothing else. (according to the manual) and have tested by removing fuse, and it does only the front electric windows.
According to the manual, there is no fuse for the central locking at all?? (bit strange I thought) but as central locking works via the keys in the lock, and the door buttons, it appears that the remote receiver may have packed up.
Just need to find the little monster, and then try checking whether there is power there or not. Can't think of anything else to check though.

PS, have the 'home repairs' site bookmarked, been useful, but not this time, sadly.......

Last edited:
HughJarsse - I've just had a look in my handbook, which is for a 2004 roundnose, so things may well be different for your squarenose. Like yours, it doesn't list 'Central locking' as such so I'm not sure why I had F18 in my head. Apologies. However, it does list:

Anti-theft warning light (does a Multi really need one of those?? :D) - Fuse 14 (10Amp)

Anti-theft control unit - Fuse 14 (ditto)

Anti-theft receiver - Fuse 12 (10 Amp)

Remote control receiver - Fuse 12 (ditto)

Hi W.M.F,
Did try 14, (that also says it covers the 'hazard light power' but hazards were working. pulled 14 and hazards wont work, replace, they work, but no joy with the remotes sadly.
As for 12, that also controls a few other things as well, (instrument panel, interior lights, clock, EOBD tester, sound system) all of which work, but when 12 pulled, they done. replaced, everything but the remotes work again, (though it does state +30 by most of those items, which I assume means a separate 30amp fuse somewhere else in the line perhaps?)
Might have to start 'grovelling about' under the dashboard, to see if there is any signs of a receiver box, etc to check.

HughJarsse
Does the little red LED illuminate on the fob when you press the button? These micro switches are notoriously rubbish on these fobs. There was a user on here offering a repair and return service.
Hi Shedenvy,
strangely enough those little red leds have never lit up, even when the remotes were working, so not sure whats happened there.
RE the microswitches, both remotes have had their switches replaced recently, as they were getting harder and harder to get to operate. So they 'should' both be OK (strange that they should both stop working together if it is the switches)
The guy you mentioned on here was ages ago, and he hasn't replied to three messages to him, so found an online place that charged me £25 for a replacement switch;
https://www.remotekeyrepairs.com/product-category/fiat/fiat-key-repair-service/
Just seems strange to me that both remotes just stopped working after playing up for a couple of days or so though??

HughJarsse
Does the little red LED illuminate on the fob when you press the button? These micro switches are notoriously rubbish on these fobs. There was a user on here offering a repair and return service.
Hi Shedenvy, re the key repairer:

Think the guy you are talking about was 'jonhyfrommars' but as mentioned, not responded to messages, and has not been onsite since about 2016 sadly, so assume he has departed for pastures new....

First thing you must do is check to that the remote is sending or not sending a signal. If you don't do that, you could be running around in circles for ever.
Just go and see a decent autolocksmith and have him check for a signal.
We don't charge for this check but I think your a little too far from us on the Essex Riviera.

Have you tried in different places? Sometimes a high radio frequency can erase the signal from the key.
Get away for a few kilometers and try again
Hi Txuchin,
Tried that today, (live in Bournemouth, and travelled to Exeter today, so took both remotes with me, and tried at various points along the way and back, Dorchester, Bridport, and Honiton, as well as Exeter itself, but no joy, sadly..

First thing you must do is check to that the remote is sending or not sending a signal. If you don't do that, you could be running around in circles for ever.
Just go and see a decent autolocksmith and have him check for a signal.
We don't charge for this check but I think your a little too far from us on the Essex Riviera.
Hi Ponsaloti, Tried the 2 'locksmiths' near to me, both have said I need a pair of new remotes, and won't even test the 2 I have, stating that it's cheaper to replace than repair!!
Would both remote trancievers fail together though? as both keys failed around the same time??
Both were tested by the firm that did the microswitch repair, and apparently worked OK when done, (around the beginning of the year for one, and April time for the other). Just seems strange they both pack up together.
Wonder if its the receiver unit in the car that had gone u/s? (though where that is located is anybody's guess!!)
As I am in Sunny Bournemouth, you are a bit too far to 'pop over' to check them out, and am struggling to find any 'locksmith' that will deal with them. (had to send them away to get the switches done, as 3 places nearby 'dont replace microswitches, to much hassle' was the replies I was given!! 'Easier and quicker to replace' they said, quoting £100+ each to do so!!!

Well, quick update (for what it's worth)
Originally put 2 brand new batteries in both remotes, (Energiser ultralithium, no less £6 for 2!!) yet they still would not work.
Been in hospital for 3 days for minor op, so both keys have been indoors, unused.
Needed a couple of 2032 batteries for granddaughters toy, so pinched the ones from the remotes, only........their both dead as a doornail???
Test meter shows they are flat, yet neither has been used for 5 days!!
Surely both remotes can't suddenly develop an internal short?? Something VERY strange going on here...Brought 4 more batteries, (2 for the toy, and 2 for the remotes) put 2 in remotes tonight, so will leave over night and check voltages again tomorrow. (Batteries originally lasted well over a year, yet these have 'gone' in less than a week!! )
Really confused here now.....:bang:

Just to add a bit of fun to the headache, can ANYONE tell me where the receiver for the central locking is situated? Cuz I ain't gorra cloo :confused:
Hi Oletimer,
Try this site, https://sites.google.com/site/fiatmultipla/Home/repairs
under the section heading 'electrics' the first and second entries are on central locking (second is 'up to 2002' the first is '2002 on')
there are 3 files in each 'zipped file'. Once downloaded and unzipped, the 3 files show the wiring diagram & references the various components, the other then shows the location of the components by the reference number on the previous one. There is also a written description of the central locking as a word doc.
Looks as though the central locking controller is under the drivers dashboard/footwell covers (marked as M40)

Hope this is of help, best of luck!! (y)

Last edited:
Back