General Turbo flutter/chatter

Currently reading:
General Turbo flutter/chatter

Josh Tugwell

Hi I have a 1.4 evo sporting
I was wondering if there is any easy way to make the turbo flutter / chatter
Thanks
Josh

Flutter, or compressor surge to give it its proper name is caused by the throttle being closed but the turbo still producing boost, eventually the pressure builds to the point the air starts flowing back through the turbo and releases the pressure, the pressure drops. But the turbo is still spinning and quickly re-pressurises the pipes and the air flows back, causing the chatter noise which you want.
Firstly this stalls airflow through the turbo so next time you jump on the throttle you have less throttle response. It also can cause excessive wear on the turbo as it’s not designed to do this.

The main problem for you is that the turbo on your car has a built in bypass valve which is ecu controlled and will let the excess pressure past the turbo to stop the chatter. You can’t block this valve because there are sensors in the air intake measuring the pressure, so if the valve is not working or the pressure is too high your car will go into limp mode.

So the jist here is, you can’t and it’s not advisable anyway.

Flutter, or compressor surge to give it its proper name is caused by the throttle being closed but the turbo still producing boost, eventually the pressure builds to the point the air starts flowing back through the turbo and releases the pressure, the pressure drops. But the turbo is still spinning and quickly re-pressurises the pipes and the air flows back, causing the chatter noise which you want.
Firstly this stalls airflow through the turbo so next time you jump on the throttle you have less throttle response. It also can cause excessive wear on the turbo as it’s not designed to do this.

The main problem for you is that the turbo on your car has a built in bypass valve which is ecu controlled and will let the excess pressure past the turbo to stop the chatter. You can’t block this valve because there are sensors in the air intake measuring the pressure, so if the valve is not working or the pressure is too high your car will go into limp mode.

So the jist here is, you can’t and it’s not advisable anyway.
But is there some way to make it louder? I've heard that filters will do the job. Is there any over ways to do it?

Just keep the system as it is
Fiat will have spent millions on the engine and associated systems you won't make it better with a few quid of a different filter just make it noisy and make people think what a .... When you drive around

Just keep the system as it is
Fiat will have spent millions on the engine and associated systems you won't make it better with a few quid of a different filter just make it noisy and make people think what a .... When you drive around
I don't mean a few quid
Just affordable ones

Back