Technical Sedici random blue smoke

Currently reading:
Technical Sedici random blue smoke

techhead0

Hi, newbie first post, I own a stilo and now a sedici 1.9d multijet, problem is intermittant blue smoke (lots of it james bond smokescreen levels), but its not a worn motor.
Blue smoke when driving after motor sits for a few days or just randomly while driving (smell of burning oil), but turn off key and restart engine and smoke is gone.!!! I can drop into 3rd and drive it to high revs and nothing, I can stop and rev up Nothing, but drive down the road and randomly (usually nothing some days) piles of blue smoke as though an electrical valve is opening and dumping oil into the exhaust?? EGR is blocked off, new MAF sensor, (no fault codes) anybody any clues?? Thanks

Hi, further to this thread, map sensor blocked with soot, so cleaned it out and see if it has any effect, also on startup engine gives a short shart squeak for about 1/2 second ???( head gasket but only on startup??).
egr blanked with holes in blanking plate so blocked plate and got egr warning message on code reader and mil light on, will try it with open (standard) gasket which i have ordered.

Thinking out loud, could my car be trying to regen the dpf and I keep cancelling it by switching off the ignition?? Starts with a strong smell of burning diesel, then blue/white smoke from rear which worsens with lower revs?? How could I start a DPF regen by driving??

Examining the dpf at the rear it seems that the rear plate has a 5mm gap all around but joined at the top, should the rear plate be a welded sealed plate??

Got the dpf filter welded up at rear seam and oil n filter change and oil counter reset, quick 10 min burst down motorway to regen dpf and smoke now gone YAY!!:):)

Still trying to figure out the blue smoke, now only happening during regen, could the dpf be gubbed??

I am thinking previous owner may have removed dpf and not remapped so fuel is passing straight through exhaust and coming out as thich blue smoke on regen, i will check once my modified elm 327 arrives.
Is it normal for the exhaust smoke to be blue/white with no dpf but not remapped?? anyone??

Got my multiecuscan modified elm 327 and checked dpf regen state 127% full , so i ran a forced regen, did not expect high revs for around 10 minutes and clouds of smoke pouring down the street (forcing pedestrians to cross the road), however it eventually ran to 100% and the smoke dissapeared at the 30% mark, i will take it for a run later to see if it still smokes (regen % down to 67% full)

Very interesting thread. I have exactly the same issue with the random blue/white smoke, turn off engine and restart and it stops billowing out!
Ive had the vehicle a week, 2008 1.9Mjet 120, 92k miles, has had a new turbo fitted. Poor mpg about 35-37.
If you have any update on the Dpf being removed and no remap please post.
That really makes sense that the car is trying to regen the Dpf and by switching it off the process is stopped....so no Dpf, nothing to regen hence blooms of smoke..
.which would be burning diesel not oil I presume??
Thanks and i hope you can add some more to this puzzling issue.
Jon

OK, i got my car on the road (after forced regen) and drove about 12 miles and dpf back up to 101% blocked so drove another 17 miles before new regen kicked in and billowing blue smoke so i burned it up the motorway 4th gear 60mph and blue smoke for 10 mins, drove another 50 miles(motorway) and dpf @ 38% blocked, so i will try some dpf cleaner sprayed into the temp senor hole next week.
I may also try a small cctv camera to see if the dpf is intact (due to split rear weld), if its all ok i am moving towards thinking that a faulty injector is over fuelling on regen??

No fault codes except one on the glow plug relay??
However all the failed regens (caused by switching off ignition while smoking out cars behind me when blue smoke appears) has diluted the brand new shell motor oil n filter, and raised the oil level (so another oil change and flush (just in case the oil thins out too much).
Open to suggestions, car runs lovely otherwise. (brand new clutch, so "Bin it" not really acceptable):):)

hmm. so you reckon Dpf is still in place and blocked??
This happened on my previous car, Dpf blocked, went into limp mode. I had it cleaned and force regen, £250, all fine after that. In hindsight I would have the Dpf removed and the vehicle remapped. Which i will do if this is the case on current car.
Surely a faulty injector would show on reader. What's your mpg like?
Mine is going in for timing belt this week and possible crank pulley.
Better put some more pennys away

mpg is good usually reading around 50mpg dropping to 20-25 on regen, but it is the blue smoke (lots of it ) during this process, should there be very noticable smoke? as I do not see any other cars like it on the road (perhaps some old buses)??

Lots of blue exhaust fumes is definitely not normal on a Dpf regen. That's what led me to think that your idea of the dpf having been removed explains the problem. However I had the issue of lots of diesel in the engine, had to do an oil change yesterday even though it was done on the 15th of August by previous owner.
I don't have diagnostic software so I'm going to take it in to the Dpf guy that cleaned my last car's, see what he recons.

Hi can you post the result of your talk as my sedici has lots of diesel in the oil due to failed regens, my guy in the garage suggests taking the dpf off and checking that it is intact internally, oil change last week is now full of diesel due to cancelling regens as blue smoke billowing out of the exhaust is not a good look

So I spoke to the dpf guy, he says the smoke is normal but you must let the regen complete, it can take up to an hour. Soon as you see it start puffing out get on the motorway, 2,500-3000 revs until it completes. You say you have done this already??
He also said change fuel filter and of course you need to get that contaminated oil out and a new oil filter asap to avoid engine damage.
Dpf and cat could be blocked, you can put a camera down to see.
If blocked get the dpf cleaned and forced regen, £250.

I am now thinking turbo oil seals, if the turbocharger is blowing oil past the seals into the exhaust, which saturates the dpf but does not show until regen, the car tries to clear the dpf , so lots of oily smoke??

I think it would be smoking all time if the turbo seals had gone. Mine has had a new turbo fitted last month so not the case here. But something caused the turbo to go so could be blocked dpf. I'm looking down that route

I did a flush/ oil n filter change today went out and regen started (50 miles since last one) drove up and down the motorway clouds of blue smoke, then on the dual carriageway cars dropping back as car sized clouds of smoke and strong fuel smell, It must have looked like my car was on fire. Got home regen complete, I held a clean sheet of paper in the exhaust stream, microscopic soot paricles (almost nothing) i will check with the multiscan later.

Hmm not a good look...
I've had no sign of blue smoke since Sunday, which was the last time I "interrupted" the regen. However on Friday I put a bottle of Wynns Extreme diesel cleaner in with half a tank of fuel, I don't know if that has anything to do with it,

Back