Tuning Rear Coilover / Coil-over Suspension Install Issues --Any ideas?

Currently reading:
Tuning Rear Coilover / Coil-over Suspension Install Issues --Any ideas?

Nowuries

Hi Fellow Fiat 500ers!
I purchased from Mr. Fiat and installed a set of no-name rear coilover shocks to replace the stock setup on my '70 Fiat 500 F. I have seen these from lots of vendors so I assumed they would be a fairly quick plug-and-play as I work to get my wee beastie back on the road. NOTE: The big difference from modern coilovers is there is no pre-load adjustment, i.e. I can't lower the spring from the top to allow for a given ride height, you can only adjust up from the bottom.
After install, I had the desired ride height, but after a short spurt of driving and a good bump, the springs settled into the suspension "cup" at the top and I lost about 1 inch, so now I am getting some rubbing, so I need to raise the spring some more.
The issue is that when I turn the lower adjustment nut, the whole shock turns because the spring is still really tight.... and yes, the top and bottom nut are tight.
So, since there is no pre-load adjustment option, I am wondering if you think removing the shocks and using spring compressors is the best option? Has anyone installed these? I saw a few posts on intentions, but no success/failure stories (yet). Here are the pictures of the item and installed.

Attachments

• 500rearspringskit.jpg
    500rearspringskit.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20180802_202017.jpg
    20180802_202017.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 137
  • 20180802_204111.jpg
    20180802_204111.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
You say that the spring settles into the suspension 'cup'--what exactly do you mean? I would have thought that you would dispense with the normal spring-top rubber and just fit the damper part of the coil-over as you would the standard damper. Does the top cone-shaped stop not fit, with side clearance, into where the spring-top rubber would normally sit?

The main concern I'd have about fitting these coil-over units is that the shock top and bottom mounting points were never designed to carry the spring loads - just look as how sturdy/reinforced the standard spring mounting platforms are.

I've seen shock mountings break away after just fitting stiffer adjustable shocks - some of the Fiat shock upper turrets are light gauge material held in place by a few spotwelds. So are you sure that nothing is collapsing/failing resulting in your suspension dropping by c. 1 inch?

As regards the shock body turning when attempting to adjust the spring preload, maybe just use a soft strap wrench on the bottom part of the shock to hold it stationary or wrap a strip of leather belt around it for protection and use a waterpump pliers or similar, being careful obviously not to squash it! Is there a hexagon or ring on the bottom of the shock body just above where the washer and rubber bushes are fitted (can't see this area clearly in your pic.) - if a hex. you can use a wrench, if a ring you could grind 2 flats and use a wrench.

Al.

Last edited:
The main concern I'd have about fitting these coil-over units is that the shock top and bottom mounting points were never designed to carry the spring loads - just look as how sturdy/reinforced the standard spring mounting platforms are.

I've seen shock mountings break away after just fitting stiffer adjustable shocks - some of the Fiat shock upper turrets are light gauge material held in place by a few spotwelds. So are you sure that nothing is collapsing/failing resulting in your suspension dropping by c. 1 inch?

As regards the shock body turning when attempting to adjust the spring preload, maybe just use a soft strap wrench on the bottom part of the shock to hold it stationary or wrap a strip of leather belt around it for protection and use a waterpump pliers or similar, being careful obviously not to squash it! Is there a hexagon or ring on the bottom of the shock body just above where the washer and rubber bushes are fitted (can't see this area clearly in your pic.) - if a hex. you can use a wrench, if a ring you could grind 2 flats and use a wrench.

Al.
Ive fitted these and you really need to strengthen the top mounts.
I cut away the spring mounts from the original setup - have you?

Hi Tom! :worship:
I think the metal cone shaped piece does fit into the spring well/cup (I can't see up there with the shock in the way), but I think either the cone shaped piece wasn't fully seated, or the spring wasn't fully seated upon initial drive. The scrapes on the spring edge now imply it was the spring that wasn't fully seated, but either way, the whole unit is still tight in terms of the nuts and no play, but when I try to tighten the adjustment nut just under the spring, it makes the whole unit turn.
I hope that clarifies. If not, I can take a short video.

Hi AndrewHarvey and Rizzo360--to answer your questions:
1) I intend to reinforce the top mounts when I get some body work done, but as of yet, I have not done that (but read to do so). I don't intend to drive it hard until then, so I figured I had little risk in causing a failure in the mount...:tempt:
2) I have no idea of the spring rates. These coil-overs didn't come with any documentation or manufacturer info... I know, not a great situation, but my originals had failed and were leaking.

I will pull the seats again to double check in good lighting that nothing has broken loose. Thanks for the tips.

I scrapped away all the old sealer around the top of rear shock tower and had a good look around there to me it's looks p#ss weak. I agree it's need to be reinforced. I have a 126 im cutting parts of i will cut the rear shock tower of nxt week and dissect it to see how weak it really is. I don't fancy fitting coil overs to the car without beefing up the towers and the lower suspension arm mount.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4210.JPG
    IMG_4210.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I too have these coil overs with no leaf spring running between the front wheels I bought my car last year & noticed when cleaning the wheel arch, the bush's on the lower part of the shock absorber i.E 2nd from bottom were completely disintegrated on both front wheels, I had a nightmare trying to find replacement bush's in the end I ordered poly bush's.Regarding strength is it worth fitting a Brace Bar joining both shock tops together?

Last edited:
I have a pair of GAZ coil-over units to eventually fit to the front suspension on my 500 (when I can find somebody who will supply me with JUST a cross-member and lower wish-bones)---there are 'flats' on struts (where the securing nuts fit) both top and bottom. Personally, I am not convinced of the usefullness of coil-over units on the rear. If a 'wishbone' suspension is fitted to the front, then coil-overs are mandatory.

Hi still waiting for my new Bush's to arrive, so stripped off all the under seal & looking at the above posts I have decided to fabricate a 1.5mm plate 6" x 4" that I have slightly shaped & bolted to the top side of each wheel arch with a hole for the shock absorber to bolt through hopefully there will be enough thread on the shock absorber to take up the extra thicknes. I have linked the two sides together with a straight brace bar that runs just in front and halfway down from the petrol tank. As soon as I can work out how to upload some photos.I will do. Saying that can I just drag & drop the pics onto where I type my post?

Hi still waiting for my new Bush's to arrive, so stripped off all the under seal & looking at the above posts I have decided to fabricate a 1.5mm plate 6" x 4" that I have slightly shaped & bolted to the top side of each wheel arch with a hole for the shock absorber to bolt through hopefully there will be enough thread on the shock absorber to take up the extra thicknes. I have linked the two sides together with a straight brace bar that runs just in front and halfway down from the petrol tank. As soon as I can work out how to upload some photos.I will do. Saying that can I just drag & drop the pics onto where I type my post?

When your typing a post look below the text box there will be at attachment button where you can upload pictures

I contacted GAZ (the suppliers ofmy front 'coil-overs' and they supplied me with a 2nd adjusting ring foreach unit and a 2nd spanner so I can adjust 1ring, and then 'lock it'with the 2nd ring.I didn't like the idea of using a grub-screw as the locking device.
"Classicfiat500"---where did you get your cross-member and lower wish-bones from? I am looking for somebody who can supply me with JUST these parts as I have a lovely pair of 'coil-overs' sitting on my study.

I understand how to adjust coilovers--I have had them on several cars, but the rear coilover set I have is tightened as much as I can get it (i.e., the two adjustment rings are right on the spring, so there is no available movement with the spring--only compression) but it still is too low in the rear and my tires are scraping the fender edge while turning. I wish I knew whether I was accidentally sent front coilovers, but I wouldn't know because there was no darn information provided with my POS coilovers that cost a ton (Thanks Mr. Fiat)... I have decided to just get new rear shocks and put the OEM springs in since there is no reasonable solution at this point.

I understand how to adjust coilovers--I have had them on several cars, but the rear coilover set I have is tightened as much as I can get it (i.e., the two adjustment rings are right on the spring, so there is no available movement with the spring--only compression) but it still is too low in the rear and my tires are scraping the fender edge while turning. I wish I knew whether I was accidentally sent front coilovers, but I wouldn't know because there was no darn information provided with my POS coilovers that cost a ton (Thanks Mr. Fiat)... I have decided to just get new rear shocks and put the OEM springs in since there is no reasonable solution at this point.

Did you try giving Mr. Fiat a call? They have been pretty responsive the couple of times I've called them asking details.

Hi JumpJet--Yes, I have emailed them regarding lots of matters and they are responsive... unfortunately they are not Fiat 500 experts (they should employ the hobbler as a consultant IMHO) and their part supplier did not provide any documentation whatsoever. Once I received the coilovers without instructions, I immediately contacted them on the matter.
And again, I just don't know why I can't get better ride height but the spring is as compressed as i can get it without non-human force (i.e. spring compressors) and based on previous posts I ought not do that as the shock tower needs reinforcement anyway, so adding more stored energy is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Back