Technical 'New' 2008 Doblo 2.0, Long start and Engine light Questions, Edinburgh

Currently reading:
Technical 'New' 2008 Doblo 2.0, Long start and Engine light Questions, Edinburgh

geegee123

Hi,

Just bought a 2008 Doblo 2.0 with 100k on the clock through a friend of a friend for good price as the engine Warning light is on and comes up with message "engine failure"-he said it's because his son serviced it but doesn't have the diagnostics to reset (which is fair enough) and showed me both receipt for the new DPF sensor and the old one. Oil service light also on for same reason.

Engine sounds great when started and performed perfectly, doesn't sound like it's 'failing' anyway! Only thing I have noticed is that the engine can take what seems like an unusually long time to turn over (yes, glow plugs up to temp) which may indicate other issues...

For what I paid I could take it to WeBuyAnyCar and get my money back but hoping I can keep this on the road a few years yet as I'm wanting to convert it into a wee camper and really practical for getting about.

So, any words of wisdom appreciated. I'm in Edinburgh if anyone's got recommendations for good garages-I've not had a car since living here so totally out the loop.

Long starting could be something as simple as weak glow plugs, not enough to trigger an error but enough to slow everything down, have you tried cycling on and off the glow plugs 3-4 times before trying to start it ?

The engine failure warning is a bit of a red flag, it shouldn’t say that just for needing a service light reset or even the change of a DPF sensor.

It really needs to be plugged in and see what it’s recorded it doesn’t mean it’s all bad but it’s never good that someone has seemingly been in there swapping sensors without knowing what’s wrong or what needed doing.

Had Harrison's look at it with the diagnostic-seems that turning the fault light off the engine goes from running ok to a banging noise starting up...

They're really busy so not started investigation as will require it being stripped down. Fault code is something about Turbo Boost?

I've been googling and found a few folk say they had similar because of the MAP sensor being clogged up-given that the EGR was just replaced that sounds possible, or... MAF sensor also listed as possible or... Turbo waste valve sticking?

Don't want to throw money away on a huge strip down if it can be helped so is it fair enough to suggest cleaning/replacing the MAP and take it from there?

So, update!

Bit of a strange one: garage seemed really busy, after a week of waiting told me it was a major engine fault would need stripped down, deleting the fault code the engine started banging, wasn't worth it.

I took it home, bought a replacement MAP sensor and some engine flush and turbo cleaner. Fitted sensor, added flush. All good. Drove about still in limp mode for a bit.

Bought iCarsoft 950 diagnostic tool, then deleted error codes. Drove about at high revs. No banging. Revs back up.

No more warning light, turbo pressure, everything good, driving absolutely fine and not in limp mode.

Glad I didn't fork out £800+ for a new turbo now ...

Well done Sir. Apart from the money saved I bet the job satisfaction level is through the roof . Enjoy your doblo one of the best wee motors I have ever owned.

Well done Sir. Apart from the money saved I bet the job satisfaction level is through the roof . Enjoy your doblo one of the best wee motors I have ever owned.

Yeah really chuffed! Definitely more fun to drive with the turbo pressure fixed too ?

Cheers

Back