Technical FIAT 500 Driver door opens from inside but not from outside

Currently reading:
Technical FIAT 500 Driver door opens from inside but not from outside

ThisIsRedFive

Afternoon all,

Newbie here. I'm having a problem with my driver's side door. From the inside, everything works fine. From the outside, the door handle moves as it should but doesn't seem to be connecting with the latch (so I have to open the door from the passenger's side).

I've seen a few videos on youtube on the common faults with these handles and all of them are videos of people replacing the full handle because it's broken...I was wondering if anyone had any idea if I did need a full replacement or if it was just that a nut had come loose somewhere, disconnecting the handle from the latch.

Any thoughts? I intend to take the panel off and have a look this weekend, but don't want to order a new handle if it's likely to be just a matter of reconnecting something that's come loose.

Cheers,
Ade

Hiya John, thanks for replying.

Yes, I'm hoping that's the case so that I don't have to replace the whole handle.

Funnily enough, the passenger side exterior hinge snapped within a week of the driver door going so I'm going to need to replace that...thankfully the rest of the passenger handle works fine tho, so it'll just be a matter of sorting the hinge.

It will be one of the rods that has come off. Take the door card off, peel back the plastic seal and get a torch in there. If it’s come off once it’s likely to keep coming off. You can put a small cable tie round it looped through the hole in the lock mechanism where it clips in and it will hold it fine.

If you watch my video you will see the rods.

[ame]https://youtu.be/Ps0MpeRkYkg[/ame]

Last edited:
Back