New clutch, new noise

Currently reading:
New clutch, new noise

bazm71

Hi all, just had a new clutch fitted to my 5 speed 2012 doblo 1.3mj.
The garage that fitted the clutch done so on a labour only basis as I supplied the clutch (brand new from GSF as there was 60% off, bargain so I thought).
Now a week after the clutch was fitted there is a noise like a low whine at various speed possibly, and only just after a gear change I am to take the van back in next week for them to have a look at but I know if they are to take the gearbox off again they will charge me as they didn't supply the clutch!
So could I ask has this happened to anyone else, new clutch then noise ? And if so what the cause was or could be?
Any advice would be gratefully accepted,

Thanks

Difficult to say/speculate but clutches to not make whining noises.

If the noise only occurs when you press the clutch pedal / or if a cable driven clutch release is badly adjusted then it *could* be the clutch thrush bearing.

Anything else is probably going to be gearbox/differential/drive shaft related.

I'm not familiar with the doblo 1.3mjet gearbox set up but I suspect the drive shafts have to be removed in which case there will be a *potential* loss of oil from the gearbox and the *possibility* of damaged oil seals. If the geaxbox has little or no oil it will make a noise.

Another *possibility* is the when the gearbox was refitted it was allowed to hang on the gearbox input shaft at an angle and the input shaft bearing has been disturbed/damaged.

Just my initial thoughts on some possibilities.

Hi thanks for your advice and input, I to was thinking of looking at oil level and drive shaft seals, so I will give that a looking as soon as I can. I had one of the garage mechanics drive around with me for a bit to try and pinpoint the noise and be said he helped getting the gearbox off and all looked good (whether he would or wouldn't say that is open to interpretation) BUT they had the OK from myself to change anything that looked worn or leaked and they only charged for the labour for changing the clutch.

I will still go back next Tuesday to the garage and have them check drive shafts, torque settings etc just to make sure nothing is wrong before they remove the gearbox to get at the clutch but as the clutch was brand new and oe quality I can't see why it would be that.
Might I ask if the input shaft bearing had been disturbed would there be an ingress of oil to the bell housing as there is a inspection bung on the gearbox that I could slot an inspection camera I. To have a look?
Again thanks for replying

Last edited:
Might I ask if the input shaft bearing had been disturbed would there be an ingress of oil to the bell housing as there is a inspection bung on the gearbox that I could slot an inspection camera I. To have a look?
Again thanks for replying

Well difficult to say. Oil seals are flexible (to an extent) whilst mechanical / bearing assemblies are not flexible. The have "float" (read acceptable movement in one or more specified directions) but that is pretty much all they have.

My initial gut feeling is to let the garage do their investigations and meanwhile hold all the info you are picking up close to hand for when they report back.

If they are a decent garage then they will want to do well by/for you. Decent garages will expect certain failure rates as they are not, like you and me, perfect.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, hopefully it will be sorted when I take it back on Tuesday, like you say i will let them come back with ideas and solutions before hit them with the information from yourself,

Cheers

Hi,the clutch kit was from Valeo, BUT myself and the garage have got to the root of the noise and even though it very much sounded like it was coming from the near side of the van it was in fact the water pump that on, believe it or not acceleration and gear change whined just like a low turbo whine or turbo hose leak, to say the bearings where absolutely knackered was an understatement and for the life of me I would not of thought it was that or coming from that side of the van!

So thanks for all for your replies,

Cheers

Hi, cheapish to be honest just let the garage sort it out, the mechanic who spotted it was (after a quick drive around with him in the passenger seat) straight on to that, after talking himself out of an turbo/hose leak he removed the aux belt and there was at least 15mm play in the water pump pulley. Even though it cost £110.00 supplied and fitted it was still better to get the van back so I could get back to work (instead of having to find a pump and fit it myself). I asked for the defective pump back off the garage and I was surprised it had a plastic impeller as the new one is aluminium!
After all that i'm glad it wasn't the clutch or turbo, still and all next job is to find a workshop manual for a Doblo 263 or at least a manual with the same engine so at least I will have an idea of torque settings general layout etc.

Thanks again,

Back