Could use some advise with 1.3 multijet engine

Currently reading:
Could use some advise with 1.3 multijet engine

Cial515

I have recently purchased a fiat doblo 1.3.
Too start with there is a snapped glow plug in the head.
It starts fine and runs fine with no problems.
I had a fiat panda 1.3 multijet prior too this and the engine runs spot on too example.
I have an appointment for a mechanic too do a removal of the glow plug on the 22nd.
Which brings me too my actual question,
So the car runs fine, untill the engine fan comes on, the engine tone changes, it misfires on rev limiter if you hold the accelerator, and you get black smoke from exhaust from acceleration only when accelerating, dosnt smoke when reached speed, the smoke stinks like oil or diesel and it chokes u in the car(if im deiving around hard up too 3-4k rev each gear it really stinks, partner says it makes her get a head ache.
Also when the rev needle is coming back too idle it hangs at 1200rpm for 2seconds before slowly dropping back too idle.
The fan comes on some times even if the engine isnt fully heated up, never comes on cold, as soon as it turns off car runs normal again.
I sometimes turn the car off for 30 seconds and then the fan dosnt come back on for a while.
Would this be related too the glow plug?
Something too do with the dpf and glow plugs?
Im worried im going too get this fixed and there is a bigger problem.
Obviously rasy way too find out is too fix the glow plug, but would be great if any would has any knowledge on those symptoms related too the radiator and the glow plug.

In a diesel engine the glow plug is only used to cold start ..it has nothing to do with how it runs ... I live in Crete and I have a diesel truck and I only use the glow plugs in winter time ....If you have fumes in the car maybe you have a leaking exhaust or your DPF needs regenerating ...have a look at this ...it seems to fit with your problems ...

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/diesel-particulate-filters/

Apparently, i have read a few threads where people have said thst the glow plugs are used when the dpf is doing a regen, increasing fuel and using the glow plugs too heat the fuel hotter than the engine and thats why the engine fan comes on too keep engine temperature down while the exhaust stays ar a high temperature from the extra fuel burning, i did find slmething that said if a glow plug isnt working then the dpf wont regenerate.

I think the fan coming on is a symptom and not the cause.

I don’t think I’m this instance the broken glow plug is to blame, the glow plug light would be flashing if it were.

I think there is something else going on here which is tripping the car to put the engine fan on. It sounds like it is significantly over fueling during these periods. Without knowing what the ecu is seeing you won’t work this out.

It need plugging in to see if there are any fault code stored. Also so see what happens at the moment the fan kicks in.

It’s worth noting the car won’t regen the DPF If it’s not warmed up fully, therefore this is your clue it’s not the car trying to regen.

Theres no fault codes other than glow plug failure, the glow plug light flashes when the car starts and turns off after 30 seconds.
The car does warm up properly sometimes, and maintans prpper engine temperature, the fan comes on generally at 40-50% (50% being middle of gauge)
I ran it for 400 miles the other day long trip.
And i do 100 miles a day.
The fan only comes on when a screw the car.
It can come on and stay on for ages even if temp drpps slightly on gauge, but then some times it turns off after 5 mins.
If i turn the engine off for 30 seconds it dosnt come back on where if i hadnt of turned it off it would stay on.
And like u said it over fuels while fan is on which causes misfiring and turbo whine on heavy load, and a stink of deisel.

I have done alot of research on the matter and there is alot of places confirming that the glow plugs are used for a dpf regen not sure which 1 passive or active one is when u drive a long distance the other is when the car over fuels too rise the temperature.
I have also read and confirmed that when the car does the over fueling dpf regen the engine fan comes on too keep down the engine temperature while it uses the fuel too heat the dpf filter, this is where the glow plugs would be needed as the fuel is sprayed directly onto the plugs, if a plug is not working then the fuel for the cylinder wont reach the correct temperature and the regen will not complete and thus it will repeat over and over, ontop of the carbon being created because of the unburnt fuel.
Is what i gathered from alot of research, and it really makes sense.

Well either you know all the answers in which case what was the point in you asking the question?

I still don’t think this has anything to do with the DPF regen.

This is why you need to plug it in, you can see if it is trying to regen, you can see if the DPF is blocked and needs to regen.
But it sounds like you’ve made up your mind...

Im just saying what i have read, and clearly your just making speculations just as i am, so why dont you quit being patronising.
The other guy said glow plugs arnt used for dpf or when the car has been started, i was just clarifying what i have found.
I am also just trying too provide as much info from what i know as i can, i already told you that i connected it too a com, where does it sound like i already msde up my mind? It sounds like ive put alot of thought into something and im trying too bash heads with someone too work it out, but you clesrly want too start an arguement with your condescending attitude.

Its also worth noting the car is an 07 plate and has only done 60k miles.

I had read what you had already said, but you disregarded everything I said and kept banging on about what you’d already written. So you weren’t interest in what I had said, fair enough not my van or problem. I’m not going to waste time offering any more info.

With or without working glow plugs the car should not be pouring fuel out the exhaust..
The fact that you’ve just bought it, you bought it with a broken glow plug suggests it’s not been looked after well, and could have all sorts of problems.

You’ll find out if you’re right on the 22nd when you sort out the glow plug problem. Then you can come back and tell me ‘I told you so’ can’t you.

If you’re doing that sort of mileage then a simple DPF cleaning treatment wound aid the DPF cleaning process and the problems should all be solved.

Last edited:
Engine oil keep over filling can only imagine its deisel, engine oil change on again and overfull

It could be the car is trying to regen. The oil only goes up if diesel is getting in it as you rightly point out.

I still think the glow plug will be a read herring.

It’s quite possible the DPF is blocked too, which would be a good reason for the previous owner to get shot of it, given how expensive they are.

There are also pressure sensors which work out how blocked the DPF is, if the sensors where faulty it can also cause the car to try and continually regen.

Last edited:
Taken off inlet manifold and its fooking caked.

Well i cant get it off i just took the pipe off.
I bet thst pcv is blocked and when the raidtor kicks in its sucking all that **** through onto the cylinders.

Just to be sure

Does your multijet use a DPF?

My GP 1.3 has also got a ton of crap in the intake manifold, unfortunately I didn't get around to cleaning it out over the weekend,
When I checked it last week, I was able get a long screwdriver in there but only got a small amount of rubbish out before it started to rain,
Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to let the manifold soak in a buckle of warm soapy degreaser this weekend, also I'll be using a long ish bottle brush to scrub the inside amongst other tools

Couple pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_150213.jpg
    IMG_20190629_150213.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20190629_150239.jpg
    IMG_20190629_150239.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 148
Oh dear, looks like this chap is following the same route I often do. Failing to look at the simple stuff first! carbon/muck fouled inlet manifolds, ports and EGRs on diesels and direct injection engines goes with the territory these days. If it's got over 30, maybe 40,000 thousand miles on it have a look into the manifold - you'll be shocked. It'll probably go on driving reasonably acceptably up into the 70 to 80,000 miles if you're lucky though. When I sorted out "Tony" our old 1.9tdi Cordoba I handed the manifold in to a local engine reconditioner who put it in with the next load of components in his high temp chemical cleaning bath (think he charged me a tenner?) I got it back looking almost like new and it didn't hold me back for the coupe of days he had it because it took that long to clean the crap out of the head (My back was killing me by the time I finished!

I'm in agreement with most on here in that I doubt if the glow plugs have anything to do with this. Although it's interesting to note that whereas glow plugs were of old strictly a start up function, some newer engines do use their glow plugs at times other than startup for reasons of emission control and most now keep the plugs "lit up" during warm up to cut down on smoke.

Hopefully the guy doing your glow plug has the proper gear. If he does it without taking the head off see if he'll let you watch. it's an interesting experience.

Charlie comments above that I'm into carbon removal and it's true that, with me having owned several diesels and now a DI petrol I'm probably more interested than most. Here's a clip that shows how shockingly bad it can get This is directly downstream of the EGR (you can see the threaded holes in the manifold which would hold it in place) The diesels tend to be clogged with a gummy muck which is sometimes baked hard near the EGR and the bore size can easily be reduced by half. There are a multitude of, highly entertaining, You Tube videos of people trying procedures ranging from oven cleaner (I've tried this - VERY mucky but works really quite well) to others spectacularly burning them out! could just see that going down a bomb with my neighbours on my open plan front drive. The petrols I have very little experience with - yet. But it seems the deposits are much harder baked on, especially on the back of the inlet valves. As I've posted before there's a very interesting piece on the Oilem website about carbon fouling on the VAG TSI engines. Just of late I've been reading about a piece of kit BMW have developed, in particular for use on the Mini, which uses Walnut shell as a blasting media to clean the ports and valves. I like the look of this and as I have a nice big compressor I'm looking into building a DIY version for use in Twinkle (1.0 direct injection Ibiza) when she needs it.

Hope this is useful and enjoyable
stay safe everyone
Jock

Well i hydrolocked the engine with a can of carb cleaner, had the engine off... well im a **** rather thsn let it evaporate i tried bump starting in reverse 4-5 times and it would not crank at all, wheels just locked up.
And i get a click from starter, u can see the engine move slightly on key turn and then slightly when u release like its trying too compress..
Well after a couple dozen attempts too crank i get alot of smoke/steam coming from the inlet manifold or the egr or battery cables, hopefully not a hole in the back of the engine.
And btw the smoke stinks too high heaven...

Do you think the cleaner will evaporate over time? I might be lucky and no damage has been done?

Back