Technical MKII Barchetta - Variator

Currently reading:
Technical MKII Barchetta - Variator

So we have a 2005 "B" with the many times updated/improved variator changes made by Fiat.

We/I would be very interested in any feedback from "B" owners with 2002-2005 cars (especially 2004/2005) as to their variator history.

I'm just about to do our second cam belt/water pump change at 48K miles and am not yet looking at a variator kit or full replacement.

The engine is very "tappety" (tappet noise/rattle) on first start up but rapidly quiets down to a more "tickety" but not silent operation. This tickety noise is not like the infamous "diesel" rattle of a shot variator which then goes when the RPM is raised.

So does this "sound" (no pun intended) similar to your experiences with the later MkII "B"s.

And I guess for those with MkI "B" that have the later variators fitted are you problem free or is periodical repair/replacement still required?

Last edited:
Our car is a late 2000 mk1. It has now done just over 50k miles and, touch wood, no problems at all with the variator. Cambelt and tensioner changed every 5 years regardless of mileage. New water pump fitted at around 36k. We get the 'tappety' noise on start up, particularly if car has not been used for some time but smooths out after a few seconds. Hope this is of interest!

about lifters , i had the same thicking noise for moments wen starting , changing the oil viscosity for 5w40 made it disapear .
something you could do wen changing cambelt is to take out the lifters dismantling them and clean , i did that in a replacement engine i have and i was surprised with the amount of gunk there was...
inspired by this post in an audi/vw forum :

https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?p=266019#p266019

nice video showing how to do it with very similar lifters :

Last edited:
98 LE here. 72k miles. I seem to have the MK2 engine (MAF/TB in same housing, plastic intake, hitachi ECU on the firewall).

Cam-belt changed often, variator changed last year for the first time due to it being noisy. Sounds fine now! No tappet noise, but I have a banshee for a starter motor that will get replaced when I do the clutch.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.

I do plan to change to a 5W-40 fully synth oil and will see how this fairs.

As for noisy tappets vs noisy variator then it becomes more interesting. It is my view/thoughts that on all examples etc. of variator knocking then this does not happen at the same higher frequency of tappet noise.

As variator noise is not terminal to the engine then my gut feel is to let it run on till there is an obvious issue and noise becomes unacceptable.

I do agree with your approach on the variator issue .
i still don't get what really fails in the variator !? the repair kit it's just the return spring and teflon washer !

Back