Technical Window Mech not working

Currently reading:
Technical Window Mech not working

si894

Hi all,

My name is Si and I'm new here.... Just taken delivery of a 1991 Sisley 4x4.

Besides the lack-luster brakes (which I noitce on the forum seems to be a common issue!) - my drivers side window mech doesnt seem to be working. Can any one help with this....

.... when I go to wind the window down the glass seems to rotate towards the 'A' piller and jams. I can wind the window down but I have to keep one hand on the 'B' pillar side of the glass pushing it down. Its a right pain as means its a two handed job.

The passenger side works fine and I cant seem to see any difference in how its set up to the drivers side.

Has anyone come across this (+ sorry if its been covered before).

Cheers.

Si.

I have recently fitted a new door to my panda and transferred all the mechanisms including the glass into the new door. There is a window glass carrier mechanism driven by the window regulator. Could be something to do with the carrier.

Best to remove the door trim panel and have a look for anything lose, missing or out of alignment. You have to remove the winder handle. There is a little 'c' clip that holds it on which is quite tricky to remove then the panel comes away with a flat bladed tool, just held on with clips.

Is the b pillar side of the glass not going down uniform then and tipping forward? If so sounds like the clip may be broken within the glass - there's a little plastic piece that's plastic riveted (I think) into the glass that is slotted into the b pillar side and allows it to stay within the seal and roll uniformly up and down. Had to fix this recently when putting a new window into a door, I used an old plastic piece and made my own "clip" with a piece of metal that wrapped around and held the piece to the glass which then slotted into the bottom of the seal and worked rolling up and down after absolutely fine! Although I think the metal seal caught on the seal a bit so I may have cut a piece of plastic to fit into it instead!

Hi thanks for the replies!

AguaMoose - I can see that the carrier on the end of the drive cable is binding aginst the drive cable track.... i dont think this is the problem more than the result of the glass tipping over? was it difficult to set your new door up? as i see very little room for adjustment in mine....

FDNY21 - yes that plastic piece is there - as I try to roll the window down the said plastic part is trying to pull out of the 'B' pillar track/rubber. I'm really confused by this one as I cant see any differnce to the passenger side at all. Is there a similar palstic part on the 'A' pillar side? if so I cant see one on mine so maybe this is missing?

Overall there seems to be more fwd/aft play in the drivers side than in the passenger side.... maybe i have an aftermarket / replacement track in the drivers side? the glass appears to be original to the rest in the car.

It wasn't too tricky to transfer all the pieces to the new door. It is fiddley with the only access through the trim panel hole and I did lose some skin off knuckles and arms. Biggest challenge was remembering the correct order to put everything in.

Could be worth taking the mechanism and glass out and examining then refitting. There is a plastic sheet attached to the bottom of the glass, which I assume acts as a water proof membrane. This can be difficult to correctly route in the door space.

Could there be any damage to the door? Perhaps from a previous brake in attempt or impact. Is the B pillar side pinching the glass as it moves up and down maybe. Just a thought.

Hi all,

Managed to fix the issue.

Looks like the mech in the drivers door is a replacement part. When I offered it up to the mech in the passenger door it was a slightly different shape. Overall the 'arch' of the track from the winder - across the door top and then down the door was larger than what I assume is an original part.

Some careful flexing to get the best overall approximation of the original (and a bit of grease) now sees it working - still not as well as the passenger side but working non the less.

Thanks for the help on this.

Si.

Back