Technical Can't shift manual trasmission

Currently reading:
Technical Can't shift manual trasmission

rickame

My girlfriend has a 2011 Fiat 500 (first USA year I believe) with a manual transmission and only 60k miles on it. She just pulled into a parking lot and found that she could not shift the car in or out of gear with the shifter and the clutch pressed in (although the clutch does seem to disengage). If the engine is turned off, you can press the clutch and move the shifter through the gears, but not when the engine is turned on. Any thoughts. It sounds like it could be the same as the S34 recalls online (can't post here) although the recall says its only for 2012 to 2016 (even though it says for cars made from 2010 to 2016) Could this be the same issue and not be covered by the recall? Any information would be appreciated. The dealership is no longer in business where she bought the car and I'd like to be sure her local mechanic is aware...and if it may be under recall all the better. My limited guess, doesn't seem like a clutch issue, but who knows, and maybe some other transmission related part(s) that keeps the shifter from moving when engine is running. We'll call mechanic and may have it towed there..also wonder if driving a few miles in just second gear (place in second then start car and release clutch and drive) would be ok or a problem, just wouldn't be able to shift up or down once driving...strange but true) Thanks for any help.

My girlfriend has a 2011 Fiat 500 (first USA year I believe) with a manual transmission and only 60k miles on it. She just pulled into a parking lot and found that she could not shift the car in or out of gear with the shifter and the clutch pressed in (although the clutch does seem to disengage). If the engine is turned off, you can press the clutch and move the shifter through the gears, but not when the engine is turned on. Any thoughts. It sounds like it could be the same as the S34 recalls online (can't post here) although the recall says its only for 2012 to 2016 (even though it says for cars made from 2010 to 2016) Could this be the same issue and not be covered by the recall? Any information would be appreciated. The dealership is no longer in business where she bought the car and I'd like to be sure her local mechanic is aware...and if it may be under recall all the better. My limited guess, doesn't seem like a clutch issue, but who knows, and maybe some other transmission related part(s) that keeps the shifter from moving when engine is running. We'll call mechanic and may have it towed there..also wonder if driving a few miles in just second gear (place in second then start car and release clutch and drive) would be ok or a problem, just wouldn't be able to shift up or down once driving...strange but true) Thanks for any help.

Clutch doesn’t disangage completely. Have had exactly the same issue, required clutch replacement.
A broken spring inside was the problem.

Thanks for comments...Cool GF, older than me (66) and yes, drives a manual. Didn't understand other person that said was a spring but needed new clutch. Wonder what year that Fiat was. Spring thing sound kinda like the recall issue, but strangely it doesn't seem to cover the first USA year of 2011 for the 500, but does cover 2012-16. Hard to figure. But she got it towed to a 'mechanic' who can hopefully figure it out. Just wanted to maybe check if there was some slim possibility that Fiat might make good. Believe it or not about 2 year after she bought it new, she was having some trouble and they replaced the whole engine. But yes, she loves her little red Fiat...I kinda like it too, nice ride! Thanks for comment.

Back