General New MOT Rules SUCK

Currently reading:
General New MOT Rules SUCK

onodle

I know they have been in force for a little while but the new MOT stuff is driving me crazy.

I've replaced the handbrake spring on the caliper - not technical sorry. Handbrake now holds like a dream, I don't roll on a hill, I can't pull off with the handbrake on the van stalls. Take the handbrake off and the van does as it should.

As far as I'm concerned it's doing its job. Take it back for a retest today and it's failed again.

Telling me the handbrake is sticking due to the caliper (i refuse to believe the guy so anyway having a spare caliper). I put the new one on go back to the garage and failed again this time telling me it's 100% the handbrake the adjuster on the caliper is keeping the handbrake on when on a rolling road.

I argue that it's holding and releasing fine i.e van does not move when on, and does when off.

So I put the handbrake on and off, I jump behind and under van and the handbrake clip or bracket is it on the caliper I can move that about 5-10mm and it then frees. I've got it soaking in oil at the moment - think new part it just needs a bit of juice to get moving.

The garage wants me to have a full handbrake cable replacement (i think at this point they just want money out of me) BECAUSE now my wipers don't park correctly (not 100% flat) it's an obstruction under the new MOT apparently JESUS I can either see out of van or I can't!!!

I don't understand VOSA rules if it's down to the person's judgment of whos performing the test.

So frustrated at this point.

SOOO

Handbrake if it is "sticking" as I can release the adjuster by hand with almost no force mind you and only moves a few mm is that a new handbrake cable? And can I get away with just replacing the one side?

Or should I tell the guys where to stick it and find another garage?

Hope this makes sense been frustrated as hell trying to get it to pass for the past 20 days as soon as I go back it's "something else"

Last edited:
You don't think me being able to move that handbrake adjuster on the caliper once the handbrake it "off" is the actual cable?

I think your right about going elsewhere for me as I said If I try and pull off with it on I stall the van. If I take it off I move forward I don't hear any rubbing or anything. So I see it as simple as either ON or OFF. Can't see how it can be in between!

So I've adjusted the wipers a little .. checked driver side handbrake cable is a small dent so i dont know if thats effect it i.e ordered a new one anyway I was going to spend all afternoon pumping oil into it and seeing if i could work it lose however decided to grab one for £15 .. booked in else where tomorrow afternoon!

onodle

Firstly, if a car fails an MOT everything it fails on should be listed on the MOT fail sheet. A reputable garage won't find another fail different from the first MOT they did IF they did it properly in the first place (assuming same garage carries out both MOT & Re-test).

I'd go elsewhere if a garage came back with that nonsense.

Also check your local council website to see if they do MOT's, they aren't the cheapest but they don't do any repair work, so are unlikely to fail something out of hoping to get the business later on.

Last edited:
Back