General stilo 1.8 16v won't always start

Currently reading:
General stilo 1.8 16v won't always start

kokkolin

hello guys, I have a strange problem my Fiat stilo 1.8 16v won't always start, i need to turn the ignition 2, 3 sometimes 4 times for it to start, and sometimes it starts like it's brand new, I've changed the spark plugs, ignition coils, tdc sensor, and nothing changed, i have no errors on tester, bu noticed that the battery with the motor off has 12,20 v, is it a good voltage? the battery has about 4 years.

If it goes "chickachickachickachicka..." and then starts, then the battery is good.

If it goes "..<click>...chickachicka....chi......cka...chicka...chicka.." then the battery is knacked... but on the face of it, the voltage 12.3V static is good.

When the car is running, measure the volts on the battery. That should be 14.5V or therabouts.

If the engine turns over quickly and the beast still doesn't want to know, then the most likely thing left is fuel (or rather, the lack of it).

If it starts okay when warm but is moody when it's cold then it could be the cold-start system isn't working properly. The ECU should inject some extra fuel when the engine is cold, so it may not be getting a signal (from a temp sensor?) that makes it do that, or there's a problem in the delivery.

If the car is just moody hot or cold, at random... you need to test fuel delivery (fuel volume) and the fuel rail pressure ... which unfortunately you need some special equipment for. Your local friendly Bosch Motronic Service Centre will be able to oblige.

But the cause could be a tired pump (or a split in the pickup line, in the pump), a blocked filter, or a dodgy fuel regulator. These would also affect how the car drives though.. and you didn't mention anything unusual there... but you might remember something (like you filled up with diesel a few weeks ago) etc.

Ralf S.

If it goes "chickachickachickachicka..." and then starts, then the battery is good.

If it goes "..<click>...chickachicka....chi......cka...chicka...chicka.." then the battery is knacked... but on the face of it, the voltage 12.3V static is good.

When the car is running, measure the volts on the battery. That should be 14.5V or therabouts.

If the engine turns over quickly and the beast still doesn't want to know, then the most likely thing left is fuel (or rather, the lack of it).

If it starts okay when warm but is moody when it's cold then it could be the cold-start system isn't working properly. The ECU should inject some extra fuel when the engine is cold, so it may not be getting a signal (from a temp sensor?) that makes it do that, or there's a problem in the delivery.

If the car is just moody hot or cold, at random... you need to test fuel delivery (fuel volume) and the fuel rail pressure ... which unfortunately you need some special equipment for. Your local friendly Bosch Motronic Service Centre will be able to oblige.

But the cause could be a tired pump (or a split in the pickup line, in the pump), a blocked filter, or a dodgy fuel regulator. These would also affect how the car drives though.. and you didn't mention anything unusual there... but you might remember something (like you filled up with diesel a few weeks ago) etc.

Ralf S.
it has it's moods, sometimes it starts at the first turn sometimes 3 or 4 turns regardless of a hot or cold engine , i also suspect the fuel pump of not being able to deliver enough pressure, I've taken the pump out and made a visual inspection it all seems ok no cracks or ruptures, the tank is always half full. the car drives smooth with no problem after it's started. I've checked and rechecked all of the sensors, all that is left is to see if the pump delivers the right pressure because sometimes when i turn the key i can hear the pump working for about 2 or 3 seconds and sometimes it's buzzing a little bit longer so i do suspect it ( but regardless of the lenght of the buzz it seems to be moody)

Ralf S.
never misplaced the diesel with the gasoline in my 10 years of driving :))

Back