Technical washer jets

Currently reading:
Technical washer jets

supacook2k

my washer jets dont work on my car! i pull the right hand stalk towards me but nothing comes out. i have filled the washer bottle up and the light washers work its just the ones on the bonnet. any help appreciated guys.

I had this with my passenger side one. i got a pin an cleaned out the hold on the jets an its started to work again, but its not the same as the drivers side. but works

had bravo hlx before sei sporting and had this problem,disconnect pipes from jets take out the pipe union to both jets ,clean in hot water and reassemble ,should be fine good luck(y)

Sorry to ressurrect such an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one.

OK So I picked up the HGT last night :D :D :D and to my surprise everything seems to be working (well OK the stereo is knackered) but here's the problem, the washers arent working.

I have filled the washer bottle up but nothing is coming out of the jets. It sounds as if the motor is working but its just not coming out.

Basically what I want to know is...... How much of a b*tch is it going to be for me to disconnect the hoses, clean them out and reconnect them? (You've got to love the ammount of space to work under the bonnet with the 20v 5pot in there :eek:)

Both my bravas had the same problem.

I suggest you disconnect the pipes just before the nozzles (they pull off quite easily, if any problem, use a bit of hot warm to heat (thus exapand) the rubber). Turn on the washer jet, you will probably see water come out the end of the hose, hence it's all working.

Do not try to test the non-return valve towards the end, it seems you need a massive pressure to open it up, I certainly couldn't blow through it.

Hence you will know that the problem is downstream from where you can see the screenwash coming out, and I expect, like me, you will find that cleaning the nozzles fixes it. I used a needle.

you will find that cleaning the nozzles fixes it. I used a needle.

i tried a pin, but i think it was too wide because it made my holes wider, meaning the water came out quicker and will less pressure. i had to replace the nozzles after i did that, so make sure you use a thin pin that wont make the holes wider.

They are very small, but maybe i used a very thin needle :p (I think I probably did) - they all work fine but it took a bit of effort, another Fiat design fault :)

lol! The thing with Fiat is that they seem to mess up simple things? Just straight into my head I have:

Rear wiper design (most Fiats)
Rear wash wipe connector hose (Brava/o)
Washer jets (Bravo/a)
Temperature gauge unreliable (Bravo/a)
Tracking fault on rear (Stilo)
Door opening cable (G.Punto)
Crap door handles (Bravo/a)

etc. etc.

These are BASIC items which do not require genuine engineering, they have been around for decades and no modern car should have such faults. I mean fine, they're easy to solve but they're that easy to solve that I shouldn't have to solve them, should I.

If selespeed went wrong (which of course it does ;)) people understand that more because it's pretty cutting edge. But the rear wash wipe connector slipping off?! Unbelievable!

As you probably know, we have Renaults mainly in our family. Sure, you get problems (well, ok, we don't really but generally people do so I will allow that we're lucky/look after cars or whatever) but if problems do happen, at least they're on cutting edge kit. For example, the Laguna locking system was faulty on early versions with it losing its code. Unforgivable, except when you consider that it was a brand new code card system with hands free facility and new encryption technologies, so you kind of expect it to need time to be made perfect. Our 52 Megane II has it perfect, which means that the technology has been revised and fixed.

excellent point (y)

i can forgive and forget when problems are due to new technology and its an expected part of teething troubles. thats the main reason i dont want a brand new model car. at least not until the faults are well known and have been resolved.

but consistent problems with basic parts cant be excused. most of the bravo's problems we're well known before they released the mk2, yet the mk2 still sufferes almost all the same faults, and they were all easily avoided on the mk1 never mind the mk2. so not only do they get the easy bits wrong in the first place, they dont even try to do anything about it on later revisions.

a leaking sunroof is another example of basic things going wrong. its not hard to prevent sunroof leaks.

my girlfriend's mk2 punto is even worse for faults than the bravo/a range, and its replacment the mk2.5 is just as bad. and it is still a lot of the basic stuff thats causing problems like the front wiper mechanism. i can almost get over the electric power steering failures becasue it was a new development and it isnt too common, but the wipers failing on so many cars is a disgrace!!

i couldnt ever recommend a fiat group car to anyone. unless i hated them.

Last edited:
Cheers for all of your help guys (y)

I will take a proper look at them tomorrow morning because it's been too dark to do anything this week by the time I've got home from work.

Will let you know how I get on :)

I forgot about leaking sunroofs, not something I have had, but I understand most brava/os suffer from it. I mean come on, it wasn't the 1980s when the bravo/a was made.

I think personally that due to there being lots of silly problems - that turn people off about the range - it makes it a good buy if you're happy to repair little things. However, most people see such problems and walk away.

But I couldn't ever have bought a 2001, 33k common rail diesel in near perfect condition for £1650 from anywhere else! Engines are pretty damn good throughout, let down by silly little things.

Back