Technical MOT smoke test

Currently reading:
Technical MOT smoke test

fletcher7751

I've had my 70,000 mile 2008 1.9TD multijet 105hp Doblo for eight years, never smokes and always passes emissions
Last week, it failed on "Exhaust emissions test aborted because smoke levels are significantly in excess of specified values 8.2.2.2.f
I queried it with the office, and asked for the readings, but he said they never had readings cos they aborted the test, seems they saw smoke and didn't proceed. When l got back to the car it smelled like the head gasket had been cooked, it was red hot and stank. I didn't complain then, as there are disclaimers on all walls warning any damge during the MOT is the owners responsibility

Some queries, and any MOT'ers advice is gratefully received

I have read that if a diesel with a dpf emits smoke of any colour the test should be aborted - this doesn't have a dpf so the next para should apply - (Is that correct)

If there is no dpf it must be tested and a reading recorded

Visually, smoke as a nuisance is covered but it has to cause a danger through reducing vision of a following vehicle - this def does not do that

Some general queries -
This MOT was carried out peiecemeal with three people doing seperate thngs - the garage is busy and MOT's are stacked till the lift is free from the last one - (Is that allowed as one person signs the results of the test?)

Should the MOT be signed by the person doing the test, or the garage owner?

I don't think the person who did the smoke test and who have done the emissions test is a qualified tester, it there a register where l can find out?

Had they tested the emissions and reported the readings l would not have queried it.

I've given it an engine service, removed and cleaned the ERG (which had minimal soot, not wet clag as have had before).
I got a can of Fortes which i'll put in Tuseday and drive it before the re test.

Any advice on the correct procedure would be apprecaited so l can be armed for the discussions that may follow.

Best wishes

It is my understanding that the MOT should only be done by ONE person. Another can be consulted but it is the logged in test who is legally responsible etc.

If it were me I would contact VOSA and query it with them. (0300-1239000). If this garage in question is breaking the regulations then they need sorting out.

My Cargo is the same model a year older with similar mileage, the day before the MOT I normally run it up to the normal temp. then drive it up a local country lane/hill in 1st gear flat out @ 5k RPM. Looking in the mirror I normally see some soot from the exhaust initially but not much after. It’s never failed yet after 12years. Try it.

Had exactly same issue with my MOT . Aborted due to excessive smoke!!
Whilst striping EGR (after 12 yrs ownership) discovered previous owners had capped..after re instating and a good de coke...passed

Back