Technical DAB radio signal terrible

Currently reading:
Technical DAB radio signal terrible

majorj0nny

DAB radio on my tipo lounge it dead pretty much all of the time. If I drive around my local area with DAB radio selected, i'll be listening to silence 90% of the time, with the occasional 'pop' of sound as it finally gets a slight signal, then back to silence.

Its not my are either - as Ive driven in several friends and family cars (none fiat) on the same streets with DAB working constantly.

FM is all im stuck with.

:(

First car I’ve had with dab. Can’t say I’m that impressed... always seems to loose signal for a few seconds. Often turn back to fm.

I just bought a 2016 Tipo with Uconnect5 SatNav and it's the biggest piece of junk I have seen as a car radio. DAB is none existent, play music from USB impossible if you want to look for music to play, instead of playing what it decides to play, use SatNav very frustrating and pointless. Just ordered an aftermarket unit after 24 hours with the car. I am used to a Pioneer DAB/SatNav unit in my Transporter and that works great and gets good DAB reception apart from in the "mountains" from Glasgow down towards Carlisle. I used to have a MiTo QV with Blue and Me and thought that was naff, but at least it consistently worked, that was the Blue and Me working not the bloody MiTo with its MultiAir issues.... Rant over. The car seems fine though :)

I just bought a 2016 Tipo with Uconnect5 SatNav and it's the biggest piece of junk I have seen as a car radio. DAB is none existent, play music from USB impossible if you want to look for music to play, instead of playing what it decides to play, use SatNav very frustrating and pointless. Just ordered an aftermarket unit after 24 hours with the car. I am used to a Pioneer DAB/SatNav unit in my Transporter and that works great and gets good DAB reception apart from in the "mountains" from Glasgow down towards Carlisle. I used to have a MiTo QV with Blue and Me and thought that was naff, but at least it consistently worked, that was the Blue and Me working not the bloody MiTo with its MultiAir issues.... Rant over. The car seems fine though :)
I felt like that with my Panda for a long time, then it all started to come together. I am sure there are better systems but now I have finally gor it, I can most of the time make the car play what I am after. I have DAB at home and find it needs a 20 foot aerial so Im not suprised its not so good on the move. On the other hand, my brother has it in his car and it works OK. Personally I cant see the extra clarity DAB offers is of huge benefit with all the background noise of a car. Its very very annoying buying something that is not as described and fails to do what it is supposed to and you may need to resort to the Trades Descriptions and Consumer Protection Acts to encourage them to resolve it. I do hope not.

I felt like that with my Panda for a long time, then it all started to come together. I am sure there are better systems but now I have finally gor it, I can most of the time make the car play what I am after. I have DAB at home and find it needs a 20 foot aerial so Im not suprised its not so good on the move. On the other hand, my brother has it in his car and it works OK. Personally I cant see the extra clarity DAB offers is of huge benefit with all the background noise of a car. Its very very annoying buying something that is not as described and fails to do what it is supposed to and you may need to resort to the Trades Descriptions and Consumer Protection Acts to encourage them to resolve it. I do hope not.
The TiPo wasn't bought for its ICE system, but to get from A to B and I though I'd try to live with it, but after fiddling with it yesterday and this morning, the unit has to go. I mainly use Waze SatNav and play music either via Android Auto or USB stick, so the current unit is beyond salvation...

Personally I cant see the extra clarity DAB offers is of huge benefit with all the background noise of a car.

As someone who actually makes their living in broadcast - and is a trained technician; to me DAB sounds appalling! - And there are technical reasons for that! It's by no means a superior system to FM. - But that's probably a moot point in the great scheme of things.

Its very very annoying buying something that is not as described and fails to do what it is supposed to and you may need to resort to the Trades Descriptions and Consumer Protection Acts to encourage them to resolve it. I do hope not.

I'm just outside Edinburgh... to the west of the city about 558ft ASL but in a 40' dip. If I walk 200yds up the hill at the back of the house I can see Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh Airport... The Forth Bridges etc. - It's not exactly the 'wilds' of the highlands.

Static DAB reception at the house is almost non-existent - without an external aerial! Portables just won't work. We have no mobile signal inside the house either! Drive out onto the A71 and head up to Dundee via the M90 and the Factory DAB in a 2018 Seat Arona dips in and out... Go either side towards the Fife Coast or West into the 'highlands' and it's hopeless... Same in my Wife's C1 which has an after-market Sony DAB; it may as well not be there.

Why?

The higher the transmission frequency (the RF frequency) the more directional and more-easily blocked by terrain and buildings the signal becomes. This is why UHF TV aerials are (generally) directional YAGI arrays which are typically mounted high up (and preferably outside) pointed directly at the transmitter... There are many parts of Scotland, Wales and Northern England where even FM reception is pretty-much static-only; and this is due to the terrain...

The UK VHF band goes from about 89Mhz-108Mhz ...DAB is up at at 174Mhz-229Mhz with the BBC's main 'national' block being 225Mhz. Of course it was never going to be great!

The Irish have actually abandoned DAB... as did Hong Kong; just doesn't work in the Mountains of Mourne or among the skyscrapers and mountains of the 'Fragrant Harbour'!

The problem isn't so much with any install in any particular vehicle (you can get two identical vehicles with identical setups; one will work well, the other won't!) - but the fact the DAB (as implemented in the UK) is less-well suited to mobile reception generally, than FM.

- And it's the government money-men (and their cronies) rather than anyone with any real technical/artistic stake in the game, who are driving the Lemming-like dash to DAB. DAB+ renders many older DAB receivers (which aren't that old!) completely useless. - And the system has never worked properly. So consumer trust in the system is pretty dented!

I still have my Mum's old ITT Weekend Automatic (bought in 1973) tuned to radio Scotland next to my bed... And about half-a dozen broken DAB sets in a box in the garage waiting to be stripped for spares! - Or (more likely) just slung! Quite often - 'progress' isn't progress at all. - And I'm afraid that just being 'digital' doesn't make it good! - Personally; I wouldn't give an extra tuppence to buy a radio with DAB; and I would n't touch a DAB-Only set with the proverbial barge pole!

As someone who actually makes their living in broadcast - and is a trained technician; to me DAB sounds appalling! - And there are technical reasons for that! It's by no means a superior system to FM. - But that's probably a moot point in the great scheme of things.

I'm just outside Edinburgh... to the west of the city about 558ft ASL but in a 40' dip. If I walk 200yds up the hill at the back of the house I can see Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh Airport... The Forth Bridges etc. - It's not exactly the 'wilds' of the highlands.

Static DAB reception at the house is almost non-existent - without an external aerial! Portables just won't work. We have no mobile signal inside the house either! Drive out onto the A71 and head up to Dundee via the M90 and the Factory DAB in a 2018 Seat Arona dips in and out... Go either side towards the Fife Coast or West into the 'highlands' and it's hopeless... Same in my Wife's C1 which has an after-market Sony DAB; it may as well not be there.

Why?

The higher the transmission frequency (the RF frequency) the more directional and more-easily blocked by terrain and buildings the signal becomes. This is why UHF TV aerials are (generally) directional YAGI arrays which are typically mounted high up (and preferably outside) pointed directly at the transmitter... There are many parts of Scotland, Wales and Northern England where even FM reception is pretty-much static-only; and this is due to the terrain...

The UK VHF band goes from about 89Mhz-108Mhz ...DAB is up at at 174Mhz-229Mhz with the BBC's main 'national' block being 225Mhz. Of course it was never going to be great!

The Irish have actually abandoned DAB... as did Hong Kong; just doesn't work in the Mountains of Mourne or among the skyscrapers and mountains of the 'Fragrant Harbour'!

The problem isn't so much with any install in any particular vehicle (you can get two identical vehicles with identical setups; one will work well, the other won't!) - but the fact the DAB (as implemented in the UK) is less-well suited to mobile reception generally, than FM.

- And it's the government money-men (and their cronies) rather than anyone with any real technical/artistic stake in the game, who are driving the Lemming-like dash to DAB. DAB+ renders many older DAB receivers (which aren't that old!) completely useless. - And the system has never worked properly. So consumer trust in the system is pretty dented!

I still have my Mum's old ITT Weekend Automatic (bought in 1973) tuned to radio Scotland next to my bed... And about half-a dozen broken DAB sets in a box in the garage waiting to be stripped for spares! - Or (more likely) just slung! Quite often - 'progress' isn't progress at all. - And I'm afraid that just being 'digital' doesn't make it good! - Personally; I wouldn't give an extra tuppence to buy a radio with DAB; and I would n't touch a DAB-Only set with the proverbial barge pole!
At least better then Norway where they abandoned AM/FM and now only have DAB. Not bad for a country with more mountains then most in Europe...

At least better then Norway where they abandoned AM/FM and now only have DAB. Not bad for a country with more mountains then most in Europe...

That did strike me as odd when I heard about it... I've not driven in Scandinavia for 35+ years; and that was a one-off. I honestly cannot remember what FM reception was like on the move; DAB certainly won't be better AM (which personally I've never liked the sound of) will tend to still carry in from other places. IP (i.e. internet) broadcasting seems more of a 'thing' - with 5G there is possibly the opportunity of streaming 'radio' finding a foothold where there is cellphone infrastructure; but then again - that's not a given.

- Interesting reflections on the Norwegian situation.

Back