Technical punto evo 2010 1.2 petrol 5 speed

Attachments

• Punto_Evo_Capacities_p250.jpg
    Punto_Evo_Capacities_p250.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Punto_Evo_Lubricants_p252.jpg
    Punto_Evo_Lubricants_p252.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Pickwick ecp lists an expensive synthetic castrol type.......dont know whats in there and whilst we looked underneath the car before buying there was a stain by the near side g/box oil seal where the drive shaft goes into the g/box. When pug welded and mot'd the punto is coming under the car port for a looksee/check etc..

whats MES please?

Would a generic ( Clarke fault code reader/clearer with graph display of selected engine functions ) fault code reader "retime" the cam belt after a new one is fitted so the muil light does not come on. By retime I mean the ecu is told a new cam belt has been fitted.

Last edited:
Thanks varecrazy, where can i get a copy and roughly how much? What sort of laptop would i need for it, and would it run on xp?

Thanks Pickwick ecp lists an expensive synthetic castrol type.......dont know whats in there and whilst we looked underneath the car before buying there was a stain by the near side g/box oil seal where the drive shaft goes into the g/box. When pug welded and mot'd the punto is coming under the car port for a looksee/check etc..

I've done a quick search and the cheapest Tutela Technyx I found online was:

https://www.graysparts.co.uk/product/technyx 75w-85

1L - £10.94 inc postage
2 x 1L - £20.92 inc postage

If you have a local Fiat dealership it might also be worth asking them for a price?

When you get time to look at the nearside driveshaft check that the oil isn't coming down from above. The seal on the gear selector shaft can start to leak, then oil drips down onto the inner CV joint and spreads across the driveshaft. Here's a picture that I took last year before I replaced my selector seal - the view is through the nearside wheel arch (wheel removed):

Gear_Selector_Shaft_Seal_Leak_Onto_Nearside_Driveshaft.jpg

Also there's a breather hole covered by a black cap on the top of the gearbox that can emit a bit of oil over time:

Gearbox_Breather.jpg

Of course it could be coming from the driveshaft seal as well as from above - which is what I found (driveshaft seal replacement is still on my to do list).

If in doubt clean up the whole area then monitor it to see where it starts to return.

I've done a quick search and the cheapest Tutela Technyx I found online was:

https://www.graysparts.co.uk/product/technyx 75w-85

1L - £10.94 inc postage
2 x 1L - £20.92 inc postage

If you have a local Fiat dealership it might also be worth asking them for a price?

When you get time to look at the nearside driveshaft check that the oil isn't coming down from above. The seal on the gear selector shaft can start to leak, then oil drips down onto the inner CV joint and spreads across the driveshaft. Here's a picture that I took last year before I replaced my selector seal - the view is through the nearside wheel arch (wheel removed):

View attachment 200538

Also there's a breather hole covered by a black cap on the top of the gearbox that can emit a bit of oil over time:

View attachment 200539

Of course it could be coming from the driveshaft seal as well as from above - which is what I found (driveshaft seal replacement is still on my to do list).

If in doubt clean up the whole area then monitor it to see where it starts to return.
Ah! Electric light bulb moment! I've now had two quick looks at my boy's 2012 1.4 Punto 8 valve because it seems to be leaking oil in this area. Both times it's been a "two wheels up on the pavement and me wriggling under in the gutter with a torch" job. I had reached the conclusion that it had to be either the inner joint boot - but just didn't seem right to me for that - or the gearbox seal. But if it was the gearbox seal there's far too much oil over the joint itself, and the boot, and not so much running down the casings under the shaft. If this selector is leaking it just might be the problem.

Thanks very much, I'll have to don my Poirot hat and have a proper go back at my garage.
Jock

Ps here's where I get my gearbox oil

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=...to_(2009_to_2011)_Evo_1.2_8v_Transmission_Oil

Last edited:
Ah! Electric light bulb moment! I've now had two quick looks at my boy's 2012 1.4 Punto 8 valve because it seems to be leaking oil in this area. Both times it's been a "two wheels up on the pavement and me wriggling under in the gutter with a torch" job. I had reached the conclusion that it had to be either the inner joint boot - but just didn't seem right to me for that - or the gearbox seal. But if it was the gearbox seal there's far too much oil over the joint itself, and the boot, and not so much running down the casings under the shaft. If this selector is leaking it just might be the problem.

At first I too thought (hoped) it was a leaking gaiter - especially as the stuff covering the area had no discernible smell - but I couldn't see how it was getting out, the clip round the boot was fully secure. Once I got a look from the side with the wheel off I could see that the selector shaft seal was certainly leaking (picture in the previous post). After sorting that I cleaned it all, hoping it would stay that way...

Nearside_Inner_CV_Joint_1.jpg

...unfortunately not...driveshaft seal also leaking it seems...

Nearside_Inner_CV_Joint_2.jpg

Appears to flow along the shaft / cup and not down the gearbox casing.

From looking at the Puntos at my local breakers I get the impression that oil leaks in this area are not uncommon - one example:

Nearside_Inner_CV_Joint_3.jpg

Last edited:
hello everyone
can some one help me locate central lock wires and colors , as i am trying to install an ebay alarm . on a punto 2012
thank you

Thanks for the heads up and pictures.........car not with me yet but amassing info for when it comes to me for a service and cam belt check....rear passenger window mech stuck etc......

Back