General Fuel Consumption

Currently reading:
General Fuel Consumption

dtlove

Hi guys!

I’ve had my new Punto Evo for a few weeks now and I’m noticing that it seems to get through more fuel than I’d expect compared to my last car.

I’ve yet to calculate its exact MPG, but the trip computer reads an average consumption of around 33 MPG. Yet the fuel gauge seems to go down faster than I’d expect. Most of my journeys so far have been pretty short, just into the city centre which is only around 3 miles away for work at night.

Oil change was done before I bought the car, I've done the spark plugs and air filter which needed doing. The car isn’t reading any codes, temperature is spot on and my only other thought is it’s just me needing to get used to the car? I’m a new driver anyway, so I’ve got some learning to do.

My questions here I guess are how accurate is the trip computer, and what suggestions can anyone make?

trip computer is always going to be a bit off but there is no way to know without measuring. Looking at how fast the gauge goes will not give you much info lol :D
I suggest you reset the trip next time you fill her up. Then at the fill up after that divide the trip miles by the gallons tanked.

Welcome to the forum!

Which engine do you have in your Punto? If you're concerned, first thing I'd so is set up an account on Fuelly and start tracking your fill ups. The trip computer's MPG calcs aren't accurate, but they're usually optimistic.

FWIW, I get around 450 miles out of my MiTo 1.6 Diesel's tank, but that's almost all motorway. Short trips do tend to chew the fuel a bit more as the engine takes a while to get up to temperature, so is less efficient for a good portion of the journey.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been resetting the trip computer on my last couple of fill ups, but neither have been significant.

It's a 1.4 litre engine, the card on the car shows it as a Punto Evo GP, not sure what the GP relates to here.

I've just signed up to Fuelly so I'll start monitoring that.

I think the main problem with the Evo is the tiny fuel tank. Mine is a diesel and I can brim it for about 45-50ish with diesel and that will get me about 400-500 miles at a push (more the 400 mark, and the computer indicates about 53mpg which it’s supposed to be much higher also if you’re driving in a lot of traffic then that can have a big impact. It travel to Nottingham for business quite a lot and know what a bitch the traffic can be.

Yep, went for a drive out of Nottingham the other day and on the dual carriageways it seems like my service helped a bit.

Fortunately my office is relocating to my town, so I'll be able to walk to work haha.

Back